Series Manager: Mark
Period: Second half of 2018, July-Dec, once per month.
Our 2018 rally-car series uses high performance models from NSR with a shared chassis. With identical chassis and similar body characteristics, the race will focus on driver skill and less on engineering. The Fiat Abarth Punto S2000 and Renault Clio R3 are intense competitors in the IRC and WRC rally series. The Clio has had a one-make series since 1974 (the British and other Clio Cup series), with engines over the years producing 200 to 300hp. The Punto, enhanced with Abarth racing technology, is a very popular high performance platform, with 250-300hp engines (depending on rules for displacement (1.5~2liters), aspiration (turbo or natural) and other parameters). The small size of these cars make them favorites of drivers because they easily navigate turns, while fans love them because they are much like the typical European “daily drivers”.
FINAL @ 4/14/18
FEES $5 ASCC members; $10 non-members
MODELS // search eBay and PendleSlot for hard to find models
- NSR Fiat Abarth S2000 Punto (NSR1164, 1030, 1040, 1043, 1057)
- NSR Renault Clio R3 (NSR1011, 1012, 1013, 1014, 1015, 1016, 1025, 1029, 1035, 1045)
- OEM hard plastic interiors, driver, and hard glass mandatory.
- Body must start every race with all major parts intact incl. windows & wings. Antennas, mirrors, wipers, exhaust, tow hooks lost in accidents don’t need to be replaced during the race – but if not too damaged – replaced for next race.
- Duplicate liveries should be made unique with different race numbers, decals, wing colors. Fantasy liveries allowed – white kits must be painted or decaled and have at least two numbers.
- Body screws: OEM Steel or NSR/Slot.It brass smooth-shank allowed; Optionally taped.
- Light Kits permitted.
- Slight trimming of wheel wells allowed for tire clearance. “Excessive” trimming determined by Scrutineer.
- Wings must be in place at heat start. Lost wings will not require a yellow-flag, but will add a 5-second penalty (one per race).
Wings lost in last lap (#40) will Not incur penalty.
- NSR motor mandatory. Long or short can allowed; recommended to use 21k to 30k motors.
- Wrapper required at first tech inspection. NSR Can-tattoo must be visible if wrapper has ripped or slipped off.
- Motor modifications (armature or magnet substitutions, zapping) prohibited.
- M2x1mm or 2mm grub-screw recommended to secure motor. Gluing can to pod allowed (instead of grub screw).
- Any configuration allowed; Inline, Anglewinder, Sidewinder Short-can NSR pods allowed. Any hardness allowed; Extra-Hard (Red) recommended.
- Pod cannot protrude below chassis pan. Excessive trimming of pod prohibited.
- Any hardness allowed; Extra-Hard recommended=NSR1484, 1327
- Only modifications to chassis allowed is for sidewinder triangle pod – rear cross-brace must be cut out and sand the cut-slag.
- Minor trimming of chassis allowed to fit body. “Excessive” trimming determined by Scrutineer.
- Ballast allowed, must be above chassis pan~i.e. inside the car.
- NSR guides mandatory; Rally Guide recommended: NSR4842 To fit tight curves, blade must be trimmed to 7mm max length.
- Guide spacers – open choice. Pick-up braids and motor-lead wires – open choice.
- NSR pinions and drive gears mandatory. Gear ratio – open choice.
- Front-NSR 5003, Rear-NSR5004 mandatory. NSR Rally wheel inserts are mandatory (can be custom painted)
- Front-NSR 5226 (18×8), Rear-NSR5206 (supergrip 19×10), 5207 (ultragrip 19×10) are the only part#s allowed.
- Tires may be glued; trued; edges may be profiled/chamfered. Be careful of tire splits from glue.
- Traction compounds prohibited. Tires cannot protrude beyond fenders when viewed from above.
- OEM NSR axles and Oil-lite bushings mandatory.
- Independent front axle allowed. Spacers/washers – open choice. Gluing rear axle bushings to pod is highly recommended.
- Front axle height adjustment grub screws – open choice (i.e. brass or rounded nose)
POWER Adjustable by racer, per heat (generally 10-13v)
Practice days announced by Series Manager; starting in March (see Google calendar).
40 lap heats. Direction, lights on/off, and other conditions announced by series manager during Race-day practice.
If it is not mentioned – email or text Series Manager for legality (BEFORE the first race).