The 1970 McLaren M8D, a car that was born from tragedy and yet became a symbol of the tenacity of the McLaren team. Bruce McLaren died during pre-season testing of the M8D in June 1970, killed in a high-speed crash at Goodwood when the car’s rear bodywork came adrift. It was a blow that would have destroyed many teams, yet despite having been ordered not to report to work the following day, every employee turned up, and there were two M8Ds on the grid for the first race of the season at Mosport Park less than two weeks later. Dan Gurney, who had been drafted in to replace Bruce, scored an emotional victory, and the car went on to win nine out of 10 rounds, with Denny Hulme scoring his second Can-Am championship. The M8D’s low rear wing earned it the nickname ‘Batmobile’ (high strut-mounted aerofoils had been banned). Power came from a 7.6-litre Chevrolet V8 producing 680bhp.
1970 Can Am Championship final results:
1st – Denny Hulme
3rd – Peter Gethin
7th – Dan Gurney
Provisional Rules – Final rules due on November 5 of 2018
Fees: $5 ASCC members; $10 non-members.
Slot cars eligible for this series are limited to any of the McLaren M8D’s from the Slot.it company and tuning options are limited to gears, tires, and general car preparation.
- Modifications are prohibited with the exception of those listed below.
- Stock driver cockpits and glass mandatory; Lexan cockpits prohibited.
- Body must start every heat with all major parts intact (e.g. windows and wings). Antennas, mirrors, wipers, tow hooks, and other small parts damaged from accidents do not have to be replaced.
- Wing’s lost or damaged in race do not incur a penalty. Marshal shall remove wing from race track. Wing must be replaced between heats.
- White kits allowed – but must be painted (or decaled uniquely) with at least one coat of paint. At least two numbers must be visible.
- Body screws open choice. Optionally taped to prevent loss. If a screw falls off the car and causes an issue with a car, the race must be red flagged and track checked for damage including a short. Damage to another competitor shall be repaired before race resumes. Damage to competitor losing the screw must be repaired under green flag.
- Chassis must be of type intended for body including EVO, EVO6 and the stock chassis. Motor pod cut-outs can be removed.
- No modifications to chassis allowed unless otherwise specified.
- Only flashing on chassis may be removed to allow better floating of the body. Excessive removal determined by scruitineer.
- Front axle can be adjusted with grub screws, two on each side, in holes provided for that purpose. Alternatively, front axle lower adjustment caps allowed. Modification to the upper axle loops is prohibited.
- Slot.It guides mandatory – SICH-07 deep wood screw guide highly recommended.
- Pick-up braids open choice.
- Traction magnets prohibited.
- Ballast allowed; must be above the chassis pan. 5 lap penalty will be imposed if ballast falls onto track and causes an issue with a competitor’s car.
- Wheel/tire must not we visible outside wheel-well/fender when viewed from above.
- Slot.It 21.5K or 23K orange end bell mandatory
- Modifications to motor (arm or magnet substitutions prohibited).
- Lead wires are free choice
- Sidewinder motor orientation mandatory.
- Motor pod prohibited from protruding below chassis.
- Only flashing may be removed from motor pod to allow better float. Excessive removal of material determined by scrutineer.
- Slot.It stop/axle collars allowed. Spacers/washers open choice.
- Slot.it spherical bushings mandatory.
- Tape may be used to prevent the Pod Screws from falling out.
- Slot.It pinions and spur gears mandatory.
- Gear Ratio open-choice.
- Modifications to either of the gears is prohibited
- Slot.it PA17, PA24, WH1183, 15.8 x8.2 mm wheels allowed.
- Slot.it wheel inserts are mandatory.
- Inserts may be interchanged from different models.
- Modifications to the wheels are prohibited.
- Only Slot.It axles allowed.
- Modifications to axles prohibited.
- Only Slot.It tires are allowed.
- Tires may be glued to the wheels, trued and have their edges rounded.
- Traction compounds prohibited.
Low Profile Zero-Grip (front) and F30 (rear) tires highly recommended.
Track Power: 11v
If it is not mentioned it is not legal. These rules were written to create a fair event and not for racers to look for loopholes.