2017 BTCC Series rules discussion

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2017 BTCC Series rules discussion

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

All,

2017 BTCC Series rules have been posted and are up for discussion: http://austinslotcarclub.com/2017-racing-series/2017-btcc-series/

Please let me know if I missed a car from the approved list. If you would like to add or change something, please give a reason for the modification.

Participant

What I have observed this year is that there are not any penalties for body screws falling on the track during races and I was told there is no need for taping screws.

Wings also are not treated as proposed.  We could change the rule as shown to reflect recent practice:

• Wings must always be in place at the beginning of the first heat for that car. If a wing becomes detached from a car, the race will not stop for a wing incident.  The car may run the car’s next heat without the wing, or upon the request of the car’s driver, an additional 2 minutes between heats will be granted for repairs, but the car must run without a wing if the repairs fail.
      Participant

I call dibs on this Honda:

Participant

I would also like a Honda and would do a paint modification to distinguish my car.  However, is one of the BTCC Scalextric cars better than the rest, or worse than the rest, based on dimensions?  I have checked the dimensions of the stock cars, not accounting for replacement parts, on the internet, and found the following mm or grams:

Honda L=131; H=40; WB=82; FT=58; RT=58; Weight=74

BMW  L=136; H=42; WB=83.5; FT=58; RT=59; Weight=70

VW      L=150; H=42; WB=85; FT=58; RT=58; Weight=81

MG     L=146; H=42; WB=85; FT=58; RT=59; Weight=72

Participant

Great questions Randy!  I am curious on the gurus ideas on the models – I would guess that lower and wider and lighter are a good baseline (e.g. MG, BMW), but  curious about the wheelbase effect (e.g. are the MG and VW prone to fish-tail b/c of their length and wheelbase?)

The issues about the screw and wing rules is a recurring one. I agree that we should either – enforce them or re-write them or delete them (note we seem to arbitrarily enforce them on a case by case basis. These rules are rather verbose esp. since they rarely result in hazard penalties.) We should discuss these in a future monthly meeting.

Participant

Ill try this one

Attachments:
      Participant

I bought the red and white insurance MG and a shapeways slot.it chassis Sunday.  I hope to amend the livery to a Scotland theme adding blue words and a flag in various places.

Keymaster

If we are doing the whole dib thing I just ordered this car 

Keymaster

Wheels rules need to be checked. Self reminder.

Participant

When the wheel and tire sizes are updated, please list the makes and models of wheels and tires and the vendors who have those available.  I’m not finding hubless wheels in a size I guess is correct and the same as the stock scaly wheels.

Participant

Are we changing back to a 15.8mm wheel?  The rules need to get updated so we can get parts in.

Keymaster

Changing rules to allow 15.8 to 16.5mm wheels.

Have not made my mind regarding tires but I’m leaning towards not allowing Slot.it’s zero grips — too wide.

Ary.

Participant

Wouldn’t that be up to the series manager to decide?

Keymaster

Rules updated: Minimum tire width is 8mm.

Participant

I have a question about filing the body on the MG6.  As you can see in the pictures, there are 2 tabs that protrude from the bottom of the body under the trunk.  On the factory Scalextric chassis, there are 2 slots for those to sit in.  The Shapeways chassis from Slot.it doesn’t have these slots and thus the chassis will not sit correctly under the body.  Can I cut these tabs on the body off to all for the chassis to fit under the car properly?

Participant

I have the same problem with my MG and replacement chassis, but I suspect the scaley interior with the posts coming down to the rear axle/bushing may also conflict with the new chassis set up.  They probably will touch the bushing and stop any chance of float.  Can we trim/remove those posts?  I suspect all of our cars have those posts and one person told me weeks ago those could always be cut off, but let’s have a ruling.

And thanks to all of the members who have helped me prepare cars.  The 917 with the small motor and much skilled tuning is a joy to drive and compete with, now running full blast!

Attachments:
      Participant

I will be out of town on the 11 11

Is there anyway to change this date

If not possible its ok then

Thanks

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.