2017 NSR Porsche 917 Rules discussion

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2017 NSR Porsche 917 Rules discussion

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

All,

2017 NSR Porsche 917 rules have been posted and are up for discussion: http://austinslotcarclub.com/2017-racing-series/2017-nsr-porsche-917/

Please let me know if I missed a car from the approved list. If you would like to add or change something, please give a reason for the modification.

Keymaster

Suggest removing this:

• Wings must always be in place during green flag conditions. If wing becomes detached from a car, the wing must be refitted to the car under green flag conditions. The race will not stop for a wing incident. If the driver fails to replace the wing before the end of the heat, a 10 lap penalty will be imposed and laps will not count onwards until the wing is re-placed. If the wing becomes detached in the last 5 seconds of the race (Equivalent to the last lap) no penalty will be imposed.

No “wings” on 917’s.

Participant

Agreed.  Please remove.

Participant

Voters-Remorse!

…yes I voted for the black medium chassis, but I have two and they both are warped (and I don’t want to get a taco like Dave got when he baked his Mosler chassis b/c it was warped).

Can we re-consider allowing the Green (ultra hard) and White (hard) chassis?  Regarding the argument of keeping the cost down ……  come on …. it’s an additional $10usd on top of what is already a $90 stock (and $120 if you include new motor, guide and spare tires) car.

If I have a $120 car I don’t want it’s performance compromised because I can’t add an $10 chassis.

Participant

917 2017 Dibs List Updated

2017 Series Talk

Participant

Per Jordan already has the Sandeman-Piper Green #43.  So either Brett needs to choose a different car or paint the tail a different color or replace the race number. Spyder

Participant

Ditto for Bobby – if he gets a third Sandeman-Piper 43 he needs to have a different number and perhaps some minor but obvious change to the livery (nose, tail, or cabin roof color or decal perhaps?)

Participant

Sample Tuning (with expert help) that has produced multiple low to mid 4.1 s
      — Appx 40:f/60:r weight distro
      — Appx 4.5-6gm ballast – appx 3.5-4.5g in the center magnet holes in the pod, 1-1.5 on the nose to keep the guide from porpoising in the hairpin.  Spread the ballast around. Too much weight on the nose produces a pendulum effect with hard tail whip in esses and hairpin.
      — Cabin tub is close to the pod and can interfere with certain ballast methods and locations.
      — Solder tabs on motor need to be very flat; wires should not be on top of motor
      — Open air-ride channel has less hop in turns (than if filled with o-rings);  Supergrips
      — 20k motor   — Gear-ratio: 2.6 to 2.7  — Rear wheel RPM: appx 7,000
      — Tight pod (reduces hop)
      NOTE: The torquey motor and Supergrips still combine to result in minor hops under a heavy or quick finger.  Motor may climb out of pod during impacts under acceleration.

Keymaster

FYI: Inspection will require body OFF.

I will not disqualify any competitor for irregular cars but each irregularity will cost 5 laps. If it is not explicitly allowed in the rules – don’t mess with it.

Ary.

Participant

Define irregular.

Participant

In my newbie opinion this set of strict rules will be a very good start to create a way of viewing this wonderful hobbie

One is to totally depends of my driving skills and practice time to make make my car faster

Second is to try to use the alowed tweeks to make it faster like but not limited to: weight balance, tire trueness, gear selection, front axle height adjustment, pod and body play using the NSR body screws and any other black magic at hand that state as legal

Let’s make it clear we all have a better chance of learning now what works and how to improve if anyone follow the rules.

Will be a total joy to see how creative we can be.

Let’s play it as fair as possible in spite of a very competitive race season

Alejandro

Participant

a) I suggest we clearly define what is an “irregularity”.

b) We should also consider them in regards to importance for (i) Technical fairness [i.e. does it clearly provide a technical advantage] (ii) authenticity of appearance or conformance to 1×1.

c) I suggest we vote on the rules – at least as a ‘feedback’ to the series manager.

Basically, if I am going to be dinged for cosmetics or a minor technical variance – I need to know in advance b/c otherwise I am f’ed.  Speaking of such, if someone’s car is clearly several hundredths ahead of others (say, as tested by a netural 3rd party) it should be looked at – not necessarily DQ’ed.  But if the car is hundredths slower – wtf is the impact of a variance, esp., if it may actually be a negative-advantage.

Keymaster

Rule-set has been made final.

Keymaster

[quote=10605]Define irregular. [/quote]

Shawn,

We will discuss this during April’s club meting.

All,

Rules are rules.  It has nothing to do with how fast or slow your car is.  If you don’t follow the rules you run the risk of receiving a penalty.  Cosmetics can be viewed different ways.  If a car looks like ass but still passes all the rules it will not receive a penalty.  Period.

The whole idea of everyone wanting to know what car is “the” car is bullshit.  Pick a car and learn how to set it up.  What you learn will help you on every other car you set up.  It’s that knowledge that will make all your cars better.

Irregular – adjective, contrary to the rules or to that which is normal or established.

Keymaster

Rules have been updated to allow motors and bushings to be glued. Driver’s feet can be removed.

Are we allowed to put nail polish on the front tires?

I was thinking a nice shade of pink for Rich.

Marty

Are suspension kits allowed?

Marty

Keymaster

Marty,

No suspension kits allowed, and no nail polish either. 🙂

Please consider the 917 rules:

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.