2018 RevoSlot Discussion

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2018 RevoSlot Discussion

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Let’s move our RevoSlot posts to this page.

1) PINION PROBLEMS
      In addition to the slipping on the shaft, both Alejandro and I have experienced dramatic wearing of the teeth/vanes of the OEM pinions. Mine are actually warped, in a magnifying glass they look like jet engine fan blades. Take a look at yours – the inner part not touching the spur may appear thick and flat, whereas the one contacting the spur are thinning and may show stress fractures and bending. Alejandro says Alan has acknowledged this and the spares he is selling are 6.4mm with thicker teeth.

If your gears are still loudly whining your pinion is probably still in good shape. If they are getting quiet they may be worn. My gears are quiet – but a few weeks ago I was hitting 3.9s; now I cannot break 4.01

Participant

Ok folks let me be clear

the problem with my pinion is NO EXCUSE NOW

I knew the rules from the very beginning and I really don’t care if I have to lose a race for be in compliance with my fellow racers

Marty already (and I am thankful for)  lend me,  and others front and rear tires (I only use a front set )

Lets talk, ok,  but rules are rules and needs to be followed,   that will make us grow as a club

Io Ditto

Participant

The replacement pinions that Alan sells ‘look’ good. I have not installed one on my spare motor, but the teeth/vanes are nice and Pineapple/Coke-bottle shaped and with a dry fit outside the car appear to mesh well with the spur.  They also have a little ‘well’ on each end for a drop of Loctite Red or solder.  They are 6.4mm in diameter but have the rounded tip instead of the skinny sharp tip that Alan recommended rounding off (from the OEM 6.7m pinion).
      This is the OEM replacement from Pendle – appears to be what Alan sells (he appears out of stock today). 6.4mm OD – thick teeth P/N: RS212 RevoSlot Brass Pinion 12t 6.4mm
      https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/spares/pinions.html?manufacturer=475

Participant

OK.

Due to the lack of available 12t BRM pinions from 132Slotcars the rules have been amended to allow the Slot It 12t pinion, part number:  SIPS12.

Participant

Comments about existing rules:

The rules were posted a month before the race for all to see and comment on.  It was my own fault, because I was so busy, not to have read the rules sooner.  I set up the car at literally the last minute, and did not check it against the rules.

I understand the issue with later production cars having smaller diameter front tires and the need to change the rules accordingly.  I just think that, with an untrued diameter of 19.65mm, a spec of 19.4mm does not leave much room for truing and a smaller diameter spec would have worked just as well, with everyone setting up to that spec.  As Marty stated, he took measurements after the race to check everyone’s diameter and used those results to decide what the new spec should be.  What was not reflected in those measurements was which cars had the original tires and which cars had the newer, lowered tires.  Also, there may well have been an issue with warm tires recording a larger diameter.  My car was listed at 19.46mm.  When I measured it this week, it was 19.34.  This was not an incorrect caliper measurement.  When the caliper was set at 19.4mm there was a clear gap to the tire.  I will check my caliper against the template tomorrow to see if there is caliper error.  I just think a smaller spec, that everyone would have set to, would have been better.  At this point, as everyone has bought new tires to comply, I do not think it would be fair to change the spec.  Everyone will just need to use extreme care when truing.

I do not know why there is a spec for track.  To my memory, the only previous race where we had a track spec was when there was a particular slot car with a much wider body and the track was specified to address this.  In other races,the rule has always been that the tire/wheel must not project beyond the body when viewed from above and the rule has worked well.  With identical bodies this rule could have worked here.  Again, now that everyone  has (hopefully) adjusted their chassis to comply with the spec, I do not think the rule should be changed.

I am opposed to the spec about tire diameter minimum after the race.  This is a spec we have never used and I think  it sets a bad precedent.  To say that the racer should account for tire wear after the race and set up their tires with that in mind is too much to ask.  There are too many variables.  What if it is a hot day and there is more tire wear?  I think if the car is legal before the race, with the proper tire, wheel, diameter, etc. it should not be checked after the race.

As I said, I understand the need for rules and strict adherence to those rules, especially with a spec series where small variations can make a difference.  With the exception of the post-race spec, I am satisfied with the rules as is and am looking forward to racing.  I just think, in the future, a little more leeway in setting up those specs would  have been better.

See everyone tomorrow!

Russell

Russell,

Good to hear you will be racing with us tomorrow.

The point with the tires was to keep the outside diameter to a minimum diameter so the car is not riding lower to the track thus lowering the center of gravity and giving someone an unfair advantage.

Tire wear is not as excessive as everyone seems to to think.  Let’s see what it looks like in a before and after measurement for all cars tomorrow and see how much actual wear everyone gets.  Like I said earlier, I ran for three hours on well trued rear tires and completed the first race and am still within the rules by a big margin.

Lets look at tire wear tomorrow and I will see if the rules need to be modified any more than I already have.

Let me explain why track is an important measurement.  On heavier cars like the RevoSlot’s a wider track can give the car more stability in the turns.  Wider track could result in better corning giving one car an unfair advantage.  That is why I am so concerned about it.

Let’s see how everyone does tomorrow with the rules and see what if anything needs to be changed.

Participant

Marty

First of all, as I said previously, except for the post-race inspection (a rule we have never used and, I believe, a bad precedent moving forward), I do not think any of the rules need changing.  That horse has left the barn, and there is no point now.

As for the tire diameter and track, you missed the point I was making about the tire diameter and track.  Of course, tire diameter is important; that is a given.  In addition to the center of gravity, it also has a big effect on downforce.  My point was why the specific tire diameter was selected.  Any spec would have worked.  Everyone would have worked to that spec and it would have been a fair and level playing (racing) field.  If a diameter of 19.25mm had been selected, those with the later, smaller tire would not have to buy and true new tires.  Those with the  original tire would have had to get new tires in any case.  With an untrued diameter of 19.65mm, a 19.40mm spec requires great care in truing the tires.

Again, with the track, it is clearly understood that a wider track is better; everyone knows that.  My points about the track are twofold:

First, it is a stock spec.  The car should have the original parts, slight production variances should be allowed.  Barring, of course, an issue like the tires where, perhaps, a different axle spacer was supplied.  With an otherwise stock car, like mine, that was slightly out of  spec, it is difficult to machine the spacer to a smaller width, while maintaining a smooth and square edge on the spacer.

Second, the rule we have traditionally used is that the wheel/tire should not extend beyond the body when viewed from above.  That would have worked fine here, especially with identical bodies.  Also, again, going forward, are we going to change the track specs for future series?  If we have a track spec here, are we going to have a track spec for Group C?  NSR Rally?  For accurate measurement, we would need a template for each series, if that is the case.  Is that what we are going to do?  The only time that I think we need a track spec is if there are significant variances in body widths between car models.

My issue now is whether how the way specs for this were created will be applied to future series.

Still looking forward to the race today.

Russell

Participant

I agree with the point Randy made about post-race inspection.  I am not opposed to post-race inspection.  I am opposed to post-race disqualification.  A post-race inspection that would give a heads-up that the car would not pass inspection for the next race would be helpful.

Participant

Good afternoon fellow racers

I am about to get some pairs of tires rears and back for the revo slot thing

I was wondering… because I checked that for ordering a pair or three the shipping is exactly the same will anybody be interested in some tires eventually and help paying the freaking 11 dollar ship rate?

Please let me know

thanks

I am still in disbelief of what happened this past Saturday (now you can start your comments ) LOL

Alejandro,

I will take four packs of 4.  I will also cover any expedited shipping so they arrive quicker if at all possible.  Please confirm with me.

Participant

Alejandro, if you still have room order me a set of front tires.  Thanks, Randy

Participant

I ordered 3 sets of rears and two sets of fronts

Anyone needing just let me know Please

Yesterday I totally dismantle the Revo to clean and inspect everything

I clean the bearings again and they were really dirty, but this time I blow them with the airbrush and alcohol until I felt the outer race spinning with the force of the air

I hope this will really clean them. I oiled all again and will assemble  later

The Slotit  pinion is in very good condition ( that’s an improvement all must try to  do )

So far this car is the one in which I have made the more laps ever on a race and I am really happy with the handling of it. As all of us, I am looking forward to the next race.

Best regards

Alejandro

Participant

I bought POWER SHOT Electric Motor Cleaner Spray at Hobby Town Sunday and cleaned the RevoSlot Porsche today.  The axles, bearings, and spacers all had black deposits, most of which had gotten hot and compessed, but cleaned off OK.  The parts run much freer including the front end.

Participant

Good morning to all

If the tech plate doesn’t fit on your rear track of the Revo Slot car

DO NOT REDUCE THE SIZE OF SPACERS

until  being  totally sure that the bearings are completely seated on the

red aluminum standoff

I was surprise when assembly my car again and doesn’t pass tech on the 63 mm back track

and when check everything the bearings wasn’t completely seated.

Best regards

Participant

I am curious to hear the results of Mark’s testing of the rear side-to-side weight balance on the RevoSlot car to see what difference it makes on the increased wear to the rear tires on the left side of the car.  There is a difference in rear weight left-to-right but I suspect it may not be the cause of the difference in wear.  I think it may have more to do with driver technique and the layout of the track.  The RevoSlot cars are heavy and increased wear can be expected.  I think it may be that drivers may generally drive harder through the turns on the north end of the track, putting more wear on the left side.  It could be, though, that weight balance is a factor.

In any case, it would appear that, at least, changing the rear tires left to right between races would be recommended.  Measuring diameter and truing the larger tire would be an even better idea.  I did not check my rear tires before the race, and only after the race did I discover that my left tire was 20.49mm and the right tire was 20.68mm.  The car was unstable during the race, wriggling from side to side.  The differential in gearing between the rear tires was undoubtedly the cause.

I have checked tire wear in the last three races and it is all over the map.  I think so much of the tire wear is due to your driving style and how hard you are on the tires and in what turns.  Some push hard in the last turn and may get more right rear wear while others might push harder in the first and third turns and get more wear out of the left rear.  This is to say nothing about any variances in the tires them selves.  If anything, I don’t think any extra weight would help.  I think it would only exasperate the situation.  These cars are 100 grams and are wearing a pair of tires every two races.  I would hate to see them wear any quicker.

RevoSlot rear tires are on the way!!!!!!

Alan and Chris at 132slotcar are sending us 16 pairs of original rear tires to use for the remaining two rounds of the RevoSlot Porsche GT2 series.

Be sure to reach out to Alan and Chris with a quick Thank You.

They are pulling tires from in-stock cars to get us taken care of.  He has more on the way but they won’t be here in time.

I will update everyone once the tires arrive.

These tires do not need much truing so don’t go too deep when truing.

Thanks to the work of Alan and Chris at 132slotcars we once again have tires for the RevoSlot series.  16 pairs of tires were dropped off at the track yesterday and eight pairs were gobbled up by those club members that were there tuning their F40’s, McLaren F1 GTR’s, Rally cars and RevoSlot cars.  The remaining tires are in the club tool box.  Please write down how many you took.  The tires are not free and I need to collect from everyone.  Remember that lightly trued tires work great and give you the advantage of additional roll out.

Here is an image of David hand selecting his tires.

Participant

Thanks for doing this Marty! FYI guys- the tires are in the left white pit-box, upper left side. Near them is the sign-out sheet; please take a max of two pairs (4 total).
      NOTES
      These are ‘new old-stock’ – they do not have the ribs or the severe divots the new tires (from PSR) have. They do have a slight center molding flash and shallow molding divot/nipple.
      You need to use the HUDY or the P&N truers – the newest truer does not have a 3mm axle yet.
      Avoid using lighter fluid – it accelerates the gumming; just true slow (1.8amp? at 3v)
      Don’t try and get rid of the divot, just get rid of the flash and get an even tread-face.
      20.9mm trued diameter gives you the better roll-out Marty mentioned and leaves enough meat for two(?) races (and associated practice).
      *Roll-out – effectively higher gear ratio (like having a smaller spur) giving more forward movement covered for every turn of the pinion.

Participant

I trued 2 sets of new tires on my wheels and kept the PN truer running at 3 volts with very little friction measured by the amp meter showing 2.1 or less.  I also stopped often to look at the scuff pattern and not over true.  With each set, I trued until it looked ok then ran some laps.  Once the track was cleaned a little I got 4.0 second laps.  One set took two tries on the truer giving a 0.2 second improvement.  I ended up with tires measuring 21.2 mm on one set and 21.0 mm on the second set.  No rubber balled up or chunked, but there was plenty of rubber dust on the truer.  I still have the dimple on each tire.  We should require the dimple at pre-race inspection.;)

I switched the tires between right and left side of the drum during each truing session.  It looks to me like the sanding surface on the PN is not consistent across the drum from left to right.  The right end looks higher and the left end looks more worn.  Do we have replacement sanding covers?

Participant

I did not use any lighter fluid on the tires during truing or running on the track.  I usually use lighter fluid to clean before practice or race heats.  I wanted to be able to see the scuff surface of the tire during truing and not risk problems during a long truing process.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BarkingSpyder

At 4-years old in Pensacola I repaired my steering linkage on my Ford Pedal-car. Dad later converted this car to a Blue Angel with ailerons and elevators with a working "stick/yoke"; the rudder was controlled by the steering wheel. I like all motorsports - I grew up going to a NASCAR Feeder track with Sportsman and Modified classes, and was lucky to attend drag races in 1970 at Orange County Raceway. My first solder-iron was a Christmas gift at 9yo; I modified T-Jets to be AFX spec before AFX Cars were in local stores. I rebuilt a few tractor & car (SIMCA) engines plus transmissions by 15yo (I still have my ring-compressor and valve spring tool) I am a former mountain and road bike geek & perennial sound engineer. Struggling guitar hobbyist and Amp "tweeker"