2019 Gumball/Christmas Run

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2019 Gumball/Christmas Run

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by BarkingSpyder BarkingSpyder 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Lets start posting here regarding rules et al for the Gumball Run.

... Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar! Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime... Rush - Red Barchetta

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Sent: Friday, July 5, 2019 21:21
    I figure that we will need 5 marshals per race instead of 3. One at the north corner, one at the esses, one at the bridge. At the south end one person on the corner and the fifth person manning the button and marshalling from the corner to the driver station.

... Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar! Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime... Rush - Red Barchetta

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Sent: Friday, July 5, 2019 12:51pm
    It looks like the track software will need to be edited for the Christmas party Gumball race; the software will not count a lap faster than 3.4 sec.

It looks like many of the usual chassis tuning, such as drag from the front wheels, independent front wheels, ball bearings, and any of the usual rolling resistance tweaks will be of lesser importance. Compared to the drag from magnets, the usual drag issues are, comparatively, much smaller.
    The biggest tuning issue may well be the tradeoff between greater downforce, compared to the induced drag from the downforce.

chapracer65
    chapracer65
    Participant

Mark

I don’t think we should use a grabber during a “hot track.”  The primary concern for marshalling, especially for this race, is to pick up the de-slotted car as quickly as possible.  The other cars will be coming very quickly and travelling very fast.  We want to avoid an unnecessary crash.  If it takes longer to re-slot the offender, that is on the driver for de-slotting in the first place.  The grabber should only be used during a button caution.

Datto
    Datto
    Participant

Only vehicles driven by Cannonball Baker allowed? 😉
    Cannonball

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Ok – no grabbers unless needed. Maybe some foot-stools for us short guys? LOL

StabnSteer
    StabnSteer
    Participant

I would like to get specific with the rules as I have only heard them discussed. What was discussed was a commercially-available 1/32 chassis (no home-built critters) and a plastic body (no lexan). As usual, no silicone tires.  That is the extent of the rules discussed – everything else is open (and thus, magnets are currently considered a requirement for massive speed). Is there anything else we need to consider rule-wise as we build these monsters?

--Stabn'Steer

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

https://www.austinslotcarclub.com/forums/topic/moving-out-of-kings/#post-14418

We may need to setup a Carrera track (I have a medium size one) for this event!  Now we need a garage, BBQ grill and keg!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BarkingSpyder

BarkingSpyder

Overhauled a Simca engine & tranny, 2 IH tractor motors & go-cart by 15. Aspired to be Ed Pink, Smokey Yunick, or Wernher von Braun - instead I became a sound engineer and worked at NASA.