2019 Series talk

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

OK everyone, it’s the time of the year again to discuss what series we want to run next year.  I’ll again compile the series and get out a survey next month for us to vote on and then further discuss in the annual meeting in October.

Couple of guidelines this year for the suggestions:

• Make sure you come with at least a framework of rules for the series.
      • Look at the cars available
      • Buy a car and run it first

This is to eliminate some issues we had this year.

Keep in mind, Group C will still be run and some kind of series on the rally track.  This leaves 4 series to determine.

Thanks!

-Shawn

Participant

Look at the Cars Available = a) find what models are available from b) what vendors and c) what are the price ranges. Naturally this applies to any allowed parts upgrades, esp. tires.

Run It First = we need you to be able to speak to your actual experience running and tuning the car. It would Also be great if you let a few other members try out the car(s).

The list of my proposed options are below.

RALLY
      Targa Florio 1970 Limited
      NSR Porsche 908/3 Limited
      Fly 908/3 with CG Slots chassis Limited
      Group B 1982-1986 Unlimited
      RACE
      Slot It – Group C
      BRM 1/24 Trans Am Spec
      BRM Revo Slot Spec
      BRM 1/24 Porsche 917/Ferrair 512 Spec
      Can Am 1970-1975 Limited – Slot It spec
      Slot It
      1995-1996 Global GT Championship- Fly cars w/Oilfer 3D Chassis
      Dodge Viper GTS-R
      Lister Storm
      Marcos LM600
      911 GT1 ’97
      Venturi 600LM
      1970 Le Mans Fly w/CG Slots Chassis
      Porsche 917 Limited
      Ferrari 512S Limited
      Lola T70 MkIII Limited
      Ford GT40 Limited
      Porsche 908 Limited
      Scalextric BMW E30 w/PCS chassis Limited
      OR
      Fly BMW E30 with 3D chassis with tons of body options
      Scalextric BMW E30 M3 No.56 Bathurst 1000 1988
      Ref : C3929
      Scalextric BMW E30 M3 DTM 1988 Jagermeister
      Ref : C3899
      Scalextric BMW M3 E30 BTCC 1991 Will Hoy
      Ref : C3866
      Scalextric BMW M3 E30 No.36 Tic Tac
      Ref : C3865
      Scalextric 60th Anniversary Collection – 1990s
      Ref : C3829A
      Scalextric Autograph Series BMW E30 M3 BTCC Mobil 1 Steve Soper
      Ref : C3782AE
      Scalextric BMW E30 M3 BTCC Mobil 1
      Ref : C3782
      SuperSlot BMW E30 M3 No.3 JPS
      Ref : H3757
      Scalextric BTCC BMW E30 M3 Demon Tweeks
      Ref : C3739
      Scalextric Ford Sierra RS500 & BMW E30 Twinpack
      Ref : C3693A
      Slot It – DTM Limited
      Alfa Romeo
      Slot.it Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI No.19 Silverstone 1996
      Ref : SICA45A
      Slot.it Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI No.26 Nurburgring 1994
      Ref : SICA35D
      Slot.it Alfa Romeo 155 V6 Ti No.27 Jagermeister
      Ref : SICA35B
      Slot.it Alfa Romeo 155 V6 Ti No.7 DTM 1993
      Ref : SICA35A
      Slot.it Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI UKSCF
      Ref : SISC35A
      Slot.it Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI No.8 Avus Ring 1995
      Ref : SICA40A
      Slot.it Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI UKSCF 2018
      Ref : SISC35ab
      Opel Calibra
      Slot.it Opel Calibra V6 No.2 Avus Ring 1995
      Ref : SICA36C
      Slot.it Opel Calibra V6 No.17 1st Norisring ITC 1996
      Ref : SICA36B
      Slot.it Opel Calibra V6 No.9 DTM/ITC 1995
      Ref : SICA36a
        Participant

The Alfa Romeo Slot.it cars listed mostly have 35 in the serial number except for the first one the has 45.  Reading the notes, the 45 is a new version with new features, some slightly different dimensions and a 21,000 rpm motor which is different.  Are the differences small enough to leave all of them competitive?

Participant

Daaaahhhhmmm … thats a few years worth Marty!  Thanks – lots to think about : )

Participant

I am lobbying for a Slot.it McLaren M8 D/E class.  They are sub 4 second capable near stock.   Specs: Motor: stock 23k.  Tires: Slot.it F30s.  Gearing : Open  Voltage: 11v.   Sidewinder configuration.   Handling is excellent.   In testing, car has proved to be durable with little tire wear.   5 models built plus white kit.

Thanks,

John (Lotus Jr. )

Participant

Are the Slot.it McLarens competitive against the Thunderslot Lolas?  Could they made competitive with gearing choices?  Let’s race this month after a regular race.

Participant

For 2019
        CanAm-McLaren [Spec]-I’ve got a virgin M8D (from Kings) I’m itching to use!
        Rally – Targa Florio 1970 [Open], or Porsche 908 [Spec]
        LeMans [Open]-or- Slot.It DTM [Spec] – both sound fun.
        1/24 – BRM TransAm; (or if we do 1/32 TA, BRM 917/F512)
        Econo-F1 – Scaley Hi-Impact Formula with FF motor upgrade; or PoliCar – PCAR02 Lotus 72B
        1/32 TransAm [Open]- Lets be realistic (but not historically scale-correct) this time and allow F30s and 3D-Chassis; don’t waste time on Dawgs (don’t list 15 cars, when only 3 are actually competitive)

For 2020+
        ScaleAuto 1/24 GT – Would prefer saving SAs for races in Pflugerville.
        Revo and ThunderSlot – both great series, but maybe wait until more bodies are available and tested. 2020 or 2021 perhaps (e.g. we can buy them in 2019 but race in 2020)
        Group-V – we’ve ran at least twice; perhaps give some one-time series a chance to re-cycle?

*Reminder* (a) you do not need to list GP-C (b) let’s avoid ShotGunning every single series we have ever done, or (c) or shotgun a dozen new cars and brands -without leaving any room for recycling series and cars we have *already* spent lots of Time and Money tuning. (d) Rather than repeat 2018 series, lets consider recycling a race from 2016 or earlier. We had fun this year – but let’s consider back-logging the brand/models from 2018 to reruns in 2020+.

Participant

All Slot.it McLaren M8s made are currently available from Electric Dreams at reasonable prices.  These are really fun to drive.

John B

https://www.electricdreams.com/Shop/slot-cars-c-168/slotit-slot-cars-c-168_9/slot-it-mclaren-canam-cars-c-168_9_1212/

Participant

I am also lobbying that we support Kings by making an effort to have one class that we order the cars from them,  as we did with the Scalextric British Touring Cars.  They sell Scalextric,  Slot.it and BRM.

Thanks,

John B

Participant

Randy,

I’m going to say no as I’ve never gotten a Slot.it to run 3.6s.  I’m thinking the Thunderslot would own the Slot.it in that series.

Participant

I would like:

1) RevoSlot with slot.it rear bearings and 3/32 axles, gears, wheels and tires.  This may also impact the front bearing, axle, wheel, tire change.  Tires may need testing, but it should be easy to pick.  I would not pick a Marcos, but am OK with it if it is comparable to the Porsches.

2) Slot.it McLaren M8A stock except maybe tires.

3) ScaleAuto 1/24 GT we have just been running.

4a)  TransAm Scalextric 1/32 with 3D chassis, and running gear.  I have a ’70 Camaro running good, and a 3D chassis to build a 1970 Mustang.  The stock rear track width is a few mm wider for the Camaro, but I will be able to check the 3D chassis conversions before October and we can test drive them.

4b) If not TransAm I like the suggestion Marty made that we run Scalextric BMW E30 M3’s with 3D chassis and running gear.  I especially like the Ref. C3782 Mobil 1 in honor of my late father-in-law who was the Mobil oil distributor for Pomona in the early Mobil 1 days.

5) Rally Targa Florio as suggested by Marty with Fly bodies on 3D chassis.  I have an eligible Fly car from way back to convert.

6) 1970 LeMans with Fly bodies on 3D chassis.  I have 2 eligible cars to convert.

7) ThunderSlot Lolas and McLarens if comparable.  Is anyone testing the McLaren M6A?

8) Group 5 again with some control on unobtainium parts.

9) Group C again.

10) Maybe some other ideas we see between now and October.

Participant

I have put the Scalextric 1970 Mustang together with a 3D chassis as a sidewinder.  The 70 Camaro on the 3D chassis as a sidewinder is about 3 mm wider at the real wheels than the Mustang fenders.  The main problem is the sidewinder gear hub and slot.it wheel are too wide for the Mustang fenders.

Both cars could be assembled as inline which would allow the Camaro to run with tires well within the fenders and equal to the Mustang inline.  Tests completed showed that the inline pod gives ability to set rear track width the same on Mustangs and Camaros.  Can also use hubless wheels to get as close to the chassis as possible.

The inline pod will require cutting the bottom of the cockpit off to clear the motor.

I am going to stop testing here until we decide if this will be a 2019 series.

Participant

I have discovered that I would have to modify the 3D chassis rear rail next to the pod to make room for the inline motor set up on the Mustang.  That would still leave the Mustang fenders narrower, and with extensive mods to use tires that same width as the 70 Camaro.  Therefor, after some consultations with other members I am dropping the full Trans Am suggestion.

We could do a 70 Camaro class on 3D Olifer chassis with many restrictions.

Participant

My only proposal for a series next year is for Thunderslots.  The rules would remain the same and new Thunderslot cars would be evaluated and allowed if they are comparable.  It would be great to get some cars other than the Lolas.  Given the parity with the Thunderslot cars my preference would be to keep it a Thunderslot-only series.

Participant

Has anyone been able to compare the performance of the C6 and C7 NSR Corvettes to see if a Corvette race would work?

Participant

I received a ScaleRacing/BRM Trans Am Mustang last week: the number 15 Parnelli Jones car.

I was interested in seeing if some of my static car models could be adapted to run the BRM chassis.  I was hoping to build a 1970 Chaparral Camaro but the only ones available are AMT 1/25 cars and they are just too small.  This holds for pretty much all the AMT and JoHan 1/25 kits.  However, there are 1/24 kits available.  I have three or four that look doable, including making a copy of my 1969 GTO.  Regardless of whether we decide to run these Trans Ams, next year or later, or whether any alternate bodies would even be allowable, I am proceeding with my first re-body.  I will be chronicling the build.

That Pirelli Jones Mustang looks great.  I really like that livery.

I trued the tires on my car and that was all then ran it on Sunday with Jenson.  The car is super stable and much more fun to run with trued tires.  It hooks up in the corners and is fast enough on the straights.  Its a fun car to run and I am sure the competition would be very close.  All the replacement parts are available and because Alan is putting them all together there is not much work to be done on them other than truing the tires.

I have some video I am trying to post but need to cut it down before I can post it.

To Radial T/A’s comment about the NSR Corvetts – We could also run the NSR Porsche 911 GT3 as a cup car series.  Stock-ish series, plenty of liveries, easy to find, parts available.  Thoughts?

I was also thinking about the BRM Group C cars.  We used to run them every year but have not run them for a few years now.  The new anglewinder chassis is perfect and these would be great cars to run.  Cars and parts readily available and we know they work.  Thoughts?

Participant

I really hope we run the RevoSlot, ThunderSlot and 1/24 ScaleAuto again in 2019.  I don’t mind buying cars, but I hate to waste real good cars.

Participant

@TA-Radial – I think we need to revise a few past series, otherwise we are painting ourselves into a corner with the same ‘fun’ series – year after year…
      I would rather re-visit RevoSlot, ThunderSlot and 1/24 ScaleAuto again in 2020.
      Otherwise – we have only Two series to experiment with.

@917 – I favor BRM in 2019, for 1/24. Group-C Plus 917s …
      The 1/24 BRM/132slot TAs look extra-super-cool – but we REALLY need to consider affordability for All members.

@TA-Radial, @917 – I prefer a 1/32 Trans Am Redux with more practical rules (and car choices) this time.

?Why aren’t we even thinking about 1/32 Womps or 1/24 Flexies with RUBBER tires? These are $60 cars with another $15 in wheels and tires.  Just Saying it would be a challenge and certainly some technology that could be used in Pflugerville.

Participant

As many of you probably do, I  prefer to race slot cars of my favorite real race cars.  However, complications often arise, making problems for  some series.  These are my thoughts for racing series, listing in order of preference:

Thunderslot-rules as before

ScaleRacing/BRM Trans Am–I love the vintage Trans Am cars and the new ScaleRacing/BRM cars would seem to be raceable and comparable in a basic stock configuration.  Compared to a series with 3D chassis, different tires, gears, motors, I do not think they would be that much more expensive.

LeMans 1970 with 3D chassis–a lot of possibilities  there

McLaren M8 D/E–A spec class which should mean close competition with minimal set up issues.  Only one make but a variety of liveries.  I have the Led Zeppelin car but have never run it.  I love the Can Am cars and this would seem to be a good solution for the problems with a wider variety of cars where we might end up with a particular slot car being faster than all the others, making it a spec series anyway.

Revo Slot–I would be interested in running this series if we could relax the rules on rear tires so we don’t have to change them out every race.

Scalextric Trans Am–I would love to race this series (Chaparral Camaro for me), but it sounds like there is a problem with narrower Mustang bodies that would be difficult to work around.  Too bad.

Group C–This series seems to be a given every year

Rally–I am not sure what series I would prefer here–perhaps the Fly 908/3 or Targa Florio.  I would prefer something like that to Renault, Peugeot, Honda, etc.

Scale Auto–I will probably not run my BMW Art Car again and may not want to buy another new car for this series

Russell,

I can’t find any reference of the BRM Trans Am bodies on Alan’s site but I did see them listed on PendleSlot.  Here is the listing.  They have both the Camaro and Mustang bodies in stock.

Participant

Daves picks –

Lets use the Rally track more than once. 1.  NSR 908/3 spyder  i have one its great on the track

2.  Scaleauto rally 208 t16  new car I have one coming

will try it before Sat

3. Revo – with different tires and motor

4. BRM 1/24

All of the proposed ASCC race series are shown on the list below.  Please review and let me know if you have any additional ones to add before we meet on Saturday.

Participant

I would like to run the NSR Porsche 908/3 as the rally car and again as a part of a LeMans 1970 on the regular track.  It would like to see if the NSR 908/3 could run competitively with the slot.it Alfa Romeo 33/3 and the Slot.it/Policar Ferrari 312S.  Those three would be quite a recreation of the 1970 era both as Targa Florio and the track 1000K races.

Participant

I love this idea since I happen to have the Alfa 33/3 and deeply love those cars – we should pit them against each other and see how things shake-out…

Participant

Where are you Herr Porsche 908?  The Italian stallions are here to challenge you.

Participant

All – The official 2019 Austin Slot Car Club Race Schedule is published.  The only small change we might want to discuss is the timing of the Thunderslot series and the availability of the new McLaren cars from Thunderslot.  We might think about moving that series back from Q2 to Q3 and move up the NSR 908/3 series to Q2 from Q3.  We can discuss at our next meeting.  Please post any additional questions or concerns.

Participant

Marty,

The reasoning for that was to keep the foam tires on the BRM and Revo cars from affecting any other series.  That’s why we put the Thunderslot series there and the NSR 908 series in Q3 as it will be on the rally track.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.