2019 Slot.it Group C

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2019 Slot.it Group C

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Datto Datto 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    porsche917
    porsche917

Russell – thanks so much for posting the pics and making this so much easier to understand.

All – if you don’t have one of these chassis in your car you should get one.  It makes all the difference in the world to get your car set up correctly.

StabnSteer
    StabnSteer
    Participant

To all – I wanted to make one clarification to the Group C rules related to this item:

> Traction compounds prohibited <

Nail polish on the front tires will be allowed. Stephen tells me that this is commonly allowed with the club. And anyway – it is an ANTI-traction compound…but semantics-wise, it IS a traction compound so I wanted to make this clear. 🙂

Looking forward to this event next weekend, though I am woefully prepared…

--Stabn'Steer

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by StabnSteer StabnSteer.
    Datto
    Datto
    Participant

Yes, thanks, Russell! Turns out I do have the adjustable chassis. Grub screws and deep wood guide are on order, but looks like I will miss the first race. Caretaker duty with my Father-in-law.

I expect a full report 😉

porsche917
    porsche917

Tires, Tires and more Tires

The first race in the Austin Slot Car Clubs 2019 calendar is this coming Saturday and although there is a limited number of things you can do to improve the handling of your Group C contender the one item that can have a huge effect are your car’s tires.  

Just like 1 to 1 racing, the tires you run can be the difference between finishing first or finishing somewhere else, and no one wants to finish somewhere else.  The catch to the tires is that there are multiple choices you can run.  Unlike the races held in the warmer months, the races in January and February can be down right frigid.  The unconditioned club room can have an ambient temperature of 40 degrees with track temps not much warmer.  This is a 50-degree swing from the temperatures in July and August.  These colder temps mean the tried and true Slot It F30 tires do not have the same grip they would have in the summer.  So the question is: what tires should I run?  How about some F22’s?  They have a lot more grip in the colder temps but don’t push them too hard accelerating out of the turns or they might start to blister.  If that is the case, how about some N22’s?  These have better durability than the F22’s but really need to be glued to the rim to hold them in place otherwise they can chatter during hard cornering.  Then you could just go with standard F30’s and hope everyone’s personal heaters warm up the room to a temperature they will find some grip.  What about some little tire warmers?  

The forecast for the start of the race on Saturday is 60 degrees.  Three choices of tires – F30’s, F22’s or N22’s.  What will your choice be for the first race of the season?  Let’s see who has chosen wisely. 

porsche917
    porsche917

To see just how competitive the series has been I quickly put together some numbers and here is what the past three years of this series has looked like.

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

N22s -these are similar to some of the softer NSR tires in that gluing can be tricky. CA, even the rubber-infused type, can easily split the tread, esp. near the molding nipple and seam.

... Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar! Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime... Rush - Red Barchetta

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Mark/DATTO
    1. If you do Not have the adjustable chassis the replacement is: Slot.it SICS08T-60B Lancia LC2 Chassis EVO6, https://www.professormotor.com/product-p/sics08t-60b.htm

2. F30s are easy to find and *if needed* buy some from a club member (I have some spares as do most members). In lieu of cash, trade them the ones you ordered when they arrive, no need to wait on the shipment. Ditto for other common parts such as the deep wood guide Slot.it SICH07 and braid.

... Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar! Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime... Rush - Red Barchetta

Datto
    Datto
    Participant

Mark/DATTO
    1. If you do Not have the adjustable chassis the replacement is: Slot.it SICS08T-60B Lancia LC2 Chassis EVO6, https://www.professormotor.com/product-p/sics08t-60b.htm<span class=”wpel-icon wpel-image wpel-icon-9″></span><span class=”wpel-icon wpel-image wpel-icon-9″></span>

2. F30s are easy to find and *if needed* buy some from a club member (I have some spares as do most members). In lieu of cash, trade them the ones you ordered when they arrive, no need to wait on the shipment. Ditto for other common parts such as the deep wood guide Slot.it SICH07 and braid.

Adjustable chassis: Check. Set screws: Check

Tires and guide have not shown up yet. Ordered from Scaleracing
    http://132slotcar.us/store/

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Datto Datto.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.