2020 Thunderslot Discussion

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2020 Thunderslot Discussion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BarkingSpyderBarkingSpyder
    Participant

This is the head thread of the series discussion for 2020 – Thunderslot

... she's got real fat tyres and everything !!! ... Deep Purple Hiway Star

chapracer65chapracer65
    Participant

Marty reports that the new Elva being produced is a very fast car.  There is also no telling what may happen to slot car supplies with the Caronavirus outbreak and it is possible the Elva could be in short supply anyway.  Because of that, for right now I am inclined not to allow it in the series this year.  The McLaren has seemed to be very similar to the Lolas and several members have them so they will be allowed.  That should give us enough variation for this year and give us time to check out the Elva for the future.

porsche917porsche917

Russell,

Will gearing be open?  The stock gearing of 11×32 was used for the past two series and although Thunderslot is now making a 31t and 30t spur they are almost impossible to find.  The Thunderslot spur gear has a diameter of 17.5mm where the NSR – using the same axle size – makes spur gears that are 17mm.  I have not tried an NSR spur with a Thunderslot or a NSR pinion but that might be the solution to allow open gearing if that is the direction we would like to go.

You can find a bunch of Thunderslot plastic pinions in 12t or 13t but that is a big difference from the stock 11t.

Once again, I wonder if NSR gears would work.  Thoughts?

porsche917porsche917

I was curious if the new wood guide will be allowed in the rules?

Marty

chapracer65chapracer65
    Participant

Marty

My bad for not getting Thuinderslot rules posted yet.  The rules will be the same as the 2019 rules except for allowing the McLaren M6A and the new, thicker wood guide.  The 2019 rules said gears were open choice.

If anyone has already purchased an Elva please let me know.

Russell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BarkingSpyder

BarkingSpyder

Overhauled a Simca engine & tranny, 2 IH tractor motors & go-cart by 15. Aspired to be Ed Pink, Smokey Yunick, or Wernher von Braun - instead I became a sound engineer and worked at NASA.