2021–NSR GT3 (Q2-2021)

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations 2021–NSR GT3 (Q2-2021)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    BarkingSpyderBarkingSpyder
    Participant

SETUP NOTES: After 20 minutes of painstakingly adjusting my axle/tire height, when thumbing my front tires with the car on its back, I discovered them rubbing the oddly shaped light buckets. Carefully grinding down all the various bumps from the bucket will be Permitted to resolve the contact; as well as adding a thin washer to the body post; or other innovative ideas. NO, truing the tires some more did not completely remove the contact; and I am running the stock size NSR-ZeroGrips. Note: I did Not have this contact issue with my C6R in 2016.

WEIGHT TUNING NOTES: My C7R Wheelbase is 85mm (axle to axle). Centerline is 42.5mm, appx 2mm forward of the Drop-Arm pivot  (The Centerline is placed over the middle of the gap between the scales)

My C7R Vette weighs 75gm; the textbook weight distribution is between:
    Front 40% / 30gm       Rear: 60% / 45gm
    Front 45% / 33.75gm  Rear: 55% / 41.25gm

As stock, my car’s distribution was:
    Front 36% / 27gm        Rear: 64% / 48gm

Adding 5gm to the nose of the pod[1]: car=80gm
    Front 40% / 32gm        Rear: 60% / 48gm

NOTES: Each model will have different centerlines; each car will have unique weights. Depending on the location the weight is added, will affect the front/rear balance[1]; weights on the Pan “wings” may be easier to tune than a single weight on the motor pod.

"I cant drive 55!" Sammy

porsche917porsche917

I will be running the Audi R8 that I used in the clubs Modern GT series back in 2016.  The car has some miles on it but should be up for the test against the large field of Corvettes.  Here are the images of the car new and one of the crash that took out the rear wing and caused some additional body damage.

Participant

Tough luck Marty! Who is coming up on you, Ary or Shawn?
    Nice looking car, but that pan looks so aerodynamic I need to check the rules on it …

"I cant drive 55!" Sammy

Participant

NEED RSVP – ‘register’ for NSR-GT3 race.
    We need to balance out all the good-ole-boyz Vetts with some:
    ASVs(AMs), R8s (OoOoO), Z4s (Bimmer), Mercs, 997s (goenfausten)

"I cant drive 55!" Sammy

StabnSteerStabnSteer
    Participant

I need to get caught up on my reading of our expectations…I THINK we’re allowing masked men to show up at the events. With many of us getting the vaccine or on the list, and since I’ve been able to successfully avoid getting the ‘vid with how I am managing my interactions, I’d be comfy jumping back into in-person action.

I don’t have a car yet, but I plan on getting caught up a bit over the weekend on our messages and will likely make a purchase since I love GT3 cars. I may not make the 10th as that is planned to be my first kart race down in New Braunfels, but if it rains, we don’t race due to the extra slippery nature of the concrete there…it becomes a true skating rink, even with rain tires so for safety’s sake they tend to cancel. In that event, I’d love to be slotting.

--Stabn'Steer

StabnSteerStabnSteer
    Participant

So based on the notes from last weekend’s meeting, this GT3 event will be a “driver present” event and not proxy. I do want to verify that before I pull the plug on a car. I plan on running the BMW Z4 Presentation Livery, but only if I can drive it. Sorry – but proxies just don’t excite me. The livery comes as a #1, but I can change that if the Audi’s already existing #1 is a hiccup to the plan.

--Stabn'Steer

chapracer65chapracer65
    Participant

Erik

I plan on driving my own car and I believe Randy does as well.  Presumably if someone else wants to enter the race but is yet reluctant to race at HQ, one of the members that does attend could race his car as a proxy driver.  We should, therefore be able to run the race as a regular owner/driver series.

Russell

Participant

SM COMMENTS:
    ERIK (and others)
    1 Re BMW-#1 Z4, if you are planning on the White Presentation livery- that should be NP.
    2 If you can attend, great – yes show up masked and enter the fray.
    3 If you cant (b/c of the kart race) – you can either drop that Round (the normal process) or leave your car and ask someone to be your Driver for round-1.
    4 In general, anyone wanting to field a car but not able to attend (regardless if due to Covid, health, travel issues); they can hire another member as their driver.

(I am considering hiring John to build my car and Steven to drive – based on recent GP-C history LOL. I will deal with sponsors, organizing the VIP Tent and post race parties etc.)

Seriously – if you want to enter a car but cannot attend in person, reach out to another member … let’s keep this simple and ‘easy’

"I cant drive 55!" Sammy

Participant

TUNING NOTES
    MOTOR – At the series voltage of 11v, some people testing Vettes are experiencing the 25k motor to be “too-hot” (jackrabbit hops and fishtails); even with Low gearing (e.g. the OEM 32/11 = 2.91 ratio, or 33/11 = 3.0).
    Conversely, the 22k or 21.5k motors may need Higher gearing (2.82, 2.73) to go below 4.3s.

BALANCE – the nose on the Vettes are light, so some weight behind the guide (~3 to 4gm) or on the nose of the motor-pod (~ 5-7gm) may be something to experiment with.

"I cant drive 55!" Sammy

StabnSteerStabnSteer
    Participant

Due to availability of parts and prices, I will be changing to the BMW Z4 Gulf Livery #52.

--Stabn'Steer

Participant

Hey – I hate to drop this on you guys but here’s some calcs that defy the recent idea of using the 22k/21.5k motors (at 11v). Since we are using S/W gears our options are limited.
    Also – I did the numbers using 12v and 11v and not surprisingly, 11v favors the 25k motor and 12v favors the 22k/21,5 motor.

11 VOLTS
    25,000 motor rated, * 11/12v = 22,800 effective
    Rear wheel RPM Ratio Spur/pinion
    8085 2.82 31/11
    8056 2.83 34/12
    7835 2.91 32/11 OEM/Stock

22/21.5 rated, avg of 21,750 * 11/12v = 19,938 effective
    8100 2.46 32/13
    7975 2.50 30/12
    7728 2.58 31/12

12 VOLTS
    25,000 motor rated
    8091 3.09 34/11

22/21.5 rated, avg of 21,750
    8146 2.67 32/12
    7967 2.73 30/11
    7713 2.82 31/11

So – at this point I am thinking we should stick with 11 volts since if most people have stuck with the stock motor there are less gear combinations they have to experiment with.

IDEAS?

"I cant drive 55!" Sammy

Radial TARadial TA
    Participant

I fully planned to race my Corvette in person, but my grandson is pitching his last high school season and the game this week is Saturday.  I will leave my car at the club and you can decide to run it or not in the race.

Participant

TA – of course we will race it : )
    We will put it into rotation and select one or even perhaps 3 people (proxy style) to drive it.

I will be closely checking your Reifen to ensure they are legal – no experimental BFG compounds are allowed … no gluing NSR over the original sidewall names etc.

"I cant drive 55!" Sammy

chapracer65chapracer65
    Participant

I don’t have a lot of experience or parts for NSR.  My Corvette came with the 25K motor.  I tried it for the first time today with a 33-tooth spur; it was undrivable.  Even with weight it was very twitchy, especially under braking at the ends of the long straights.  I ordered 34- and 35-tooth gears today.  I still plan on running with the 25K motor, hoping that the higher numerical gearing will be enough to calm it down.  I am ordering a 36-tooth gear as well.

Russell

Participant

RUSS – yes I too spent several hours this Sat & Sun trying to either a) break 4.1 or b) have a car that did not jack-rabbit in the straights or fishtail in the corners. The Supergrips marbled a little and contributed to both the jumps and slides.

After too many 4.4s, I switched back from the 22k motor to the 25k OEM motor; and went back and forth from the 32z (OEM) to 31z spurs. With the 32z I could barely break high 4.3s; with the 31z I clocked a few mid and high 4.2s but mainly stayed in the 4.3s My pinion is a 11z (OEM spec).

I also experienced more rubbing on the front tires (I need to double-check to see if I am running the 17mm or 19mm NSR-No-Grips)

"I cant drive 55!" Sammy

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BarkingSpyder

BarkingSpyder

This is me fixing the steering on my Ford Pedal-car when I was 4 years old. I like all motorsports - I grew up going to a NASCAR Feeder track with Sportsman and Modified classes, and was lucky to attend races in 1970 at Orange County Raceway. My first solder-iron was a Christmas gift at 9yo; I modified T-Jets to be AFX spec before AFX was in local stores. I rebuilt a few tractor & car engines (SIMCA) plus transmissions by 15yo (I still have my ring-compressor and valve spring tool) Former mountain and road bike geek - perennial sound engineer. Struggling guitar hobbyist and Amp "tweeker"