ASCC Annual Planning for 2022

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Yes it early to start commenting about 2022, but here I go.

I suspect from experience we would not want a completely spec, no personal tuning of cars, and nor unique liveries.  Here is one of my dream series:  https://sportscardigest.com/the-international-race-of-champions-porsches/?utm_source=sendfox&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=contactfirst-name-heres-what-happened-this-week-at-sports-car-digest.

Participant

TA – It’s never too early to start *thinking about annual planning. Some considerations:
      — Reviving Legacy series only run ~2 times previously.
      — Use the OLD rules to allow people to enter a car with just a set fresh of tires and a drop of lube.  UNLESS some old rule/part (tires, guide, etc.) seemed to be a major source of problems – in which case – propose the Series ‘A Deux’ with REVISED RULES that remove the problem!

— For all series Consider – a basic set of Default Parts, assuming that they do Not provide any proven advantage over OEM Brand or Model parts:
      … Slot.IT 21.5/23k motor; SIPT28 F30 tires (and compatible 10×15-ish wheels); SICH07 Wooden Track Deep Guide; Slot.IT drivetrain (axles, gears); 19mm Slot.IT Zero grip front tires; 3/32 Carrera-ish Oilite bushings (such as to allow Slot.IT drive-train parts in NSR, Fly, Avant Slot or other brands with snap-in bushings).

We always cite cost-control as a major factor supporting “SPEC” rules; but that does Not work if the OEM parts are troublesome, -or- backup spares are not in good stock from typical vendors, et al.  Most members have All of these Default Parts in their Spares.

WE NEED – Long Standing Members to add their “flavor” to the club as fresh Series Managers and Officers. The door is open to >> You.
      WE NEED – YOUR IDEAS – and participation – to Thrive and Grow.
      WE NEED – EVERYONE to be Skilled in managing a Series – including Posting Results and Stories 🙂
      WE NEED – to do MORE Public Events Together

DO WE- want to be re-locating to a Storage Warehouse in 2022?     I      H O P E    N O T

Randy – Did you see the new series of cars that Slot Wings (Fly)  just came out with?  They plan on doing every one of the Porsche 911 IROC cars.  These would make a great series.  Difficult to drive but fun.

Participant

The difficult part is not the driving, but the acquiring of 8-12 cars before they are sold out.  At some reasonable price I would start buying them for a club series myself.  Do you believe we would get participation for stock, or all equally modified, drivers?

Randy – As much as I would like to think the club would like to run these I don’t think that will be the case.  The Slot Wings Porsche 911’s are designed and built like the real 911’s with the motor hanging out behind the rear axle.  This makes for a difficult handling car.  There are some great 3D chassis made for the cars and they handle fantastic with the 3D chassis.  I can bring one of my Slot Wings/Fly Porsche 911’s for the club to look at and run to see if its something they would like to run as a series.

Participant

Talk about a detailed Pan!

IROC 73-74 911 UNDERBODY

Participant

Too bad the IROC SlotWings 911s are not like my Fly Rally.  It is pictured attached with the 3d chassis.  I started off as a white kit decaled to Ludwig Heimrath IMSA Radial car.  As you see I have ordered the 3d chassis.  If we ordered the chassis for the IROC cars it starts getting expensive, we would also probably order new motors, etc.  Any hope?

This weekend we have the fourth round of the NSR GT series scheduled.  There is no other race on the calendar and I wanted to see if anyone would be up for running a NSR F1 practice race or opening up the rally track for some Targa practice.  I would also be open for any other practice race that would showcase a possible future series.  Thoughts?

Marty

Participant

Targa is soonest series and I could use the practice.  I have never been good at it.

The F1 driver has been suspended, but the self driving feature slot will work.  Just need Targa practice more.

Participant

TARGA – semi organized practice.

NSR Formula – open practice after the Targa.
      ** Story/results workshop – 15 minutes? – after the GT3-race?

Remember GT racing in the 90’s?  If you don’t, you should.  The mid to late 90’s was arguably one of the best era’s of sports car racing that led to the creation of some the best sports cars ever created, even to this day.  This was the period of limited production sports cars that had enough speed to go head to head with sports prototypes and in many cases win.  These wins included Le Mans in 1995 and 1998 highlighting how quick and reliable these cars were.  Here is a little history into these amazing GT cars.

In 1994 the BPR Global GT Series started and drew the attention of Ferrari with their F40 and McLaren with their F1 GTR.  Porsche owned the lower GT2 segment of the series and felt comfortable owning that series, for the moment.  When McLaren won Le Mans in 1995 Porsche felt the pressure to reassert themselves and set their engineers to the task of building a BPR Global GT series winner – the future GT1.

In 1997 the FIA decided to take over the series and rewrite the rules and rebrand the series GT1.  The new rules brought in Mercedes with their CLK GTR, Toyota with their GT1, Nissan with their R390 and numerous smaller manufactures like Panoz with their GT1 batmobile and Lotus with their underfunded Elise.  Ferrari and McLaren’s continued in the series but moved to being run by privateers .

The cars that highlighted this period were the Ferrari F40, McLaren F1 GTR, Porsche GT1, Mercedes CLK GTR and the Toyota GT1.  Not all of these raced together at the same time but all represented and amazing stage of the period.

Revoslot has set out to create the most iconic cars of this period with the Ferrari F40, Toyota GT1 and the Porsche GT1.  They also have the Mercedes CLK coming out in June and the McLaren F1 coming out by October.  These five cars give the club an amazing selection of makes, models and liveries to run a series in 2022.

We have experience with running Revoslot cars as we have run two series within the past two years.  The only real issue we’ve encountered is the durability of the rear tires.  As of right now we are aware of two ways to deal with the quick wearing rear tires – one is replacing the rear axle and drive line with a 3/32 axle and the other is to replace the wheels with ones designed for the 3mm axle and a wider range of tires.

Replacing the rear axle also involves replacing the rear axle bushings, the axle, the wheels and the crown gear.  The cost of this upgrade is around $40.  The other option is to replace the rear wheels.  Slot Car Corner has produced some CBD LMP wheels for 3mm axles that will allow the use of Slot It F30 tires, NSR Supergrips or even Paul Gage urethane tires.  The cost for a pair of wheels is $13.  At the moment CBD only produces an LMP version but I have talked with Slot Car Corner about producing a blank wheel that would accept the Revoslot wheel inserts.  Let’s hope they will support us by producing these.

I believe these cars would make a great 2022 series and would support getting a couple of cars for the club to try out.  Please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Participant

no two ways about it, buy replacement wheels!  I cannot find a website with all of the cars.  I have a policar F-40 that we proposed but did not adopt a few years ago.  Is it likely to be included in this proposed class.

Randy – I was thinking this would be a RevoSlot series but I am open to running a mid-90’s GT series.  There are plenty of cars from multiple manufactures that would work in this series.  These would include:

Slot It – Ferrari F40, McLaren F1 GTR long tail, Nissan R390 GT1

Policar – Ferrari F40

Fly – Porsche GT1, Ferrari F40, Panoz GT1

Scaleauto – Toyota GT1

There are lots of options to run this series but I have to think people would be up for a RevoSlot series over this one.

Participant

I like RevoSlot and would be glad to stick to Revo Slot and the replacement wheels.  I wonder if the MCLaren GT1 special car I bought a few years ago by the racing champion MR Slot? would be competitive with Revo?

Randy – I think it’s best to race RevoSlot cars against other RevoSlot cars in a class by themselves.  This is the best way to keep the series as even or equal as possible.

The plastic chassis cars like the Mr Slotcar, Policar, Slot It and Scaleuato would be fun to run together and very different in their set ups and performance.

I just talked to Steve at Slot Car Corner and he will be producing CBD wheels in 17×10 and 17×8 for 3mm axles that will work with multiple wheel inserts.  These wheels will not work with the RevoSlot inserts as their sizing is so different.  They will work with CG Slot Cars to produce inserts that mirror the look of the RevoSlot inserts that will fit the CBD wheels.  What could be better?  The timing for these new wheels and inserts is September.  This will give us time to get some, try them out, and get ready for the next RevoSlot series in 2022.

Participant

Great research Marty! Looking forward to it!

Participant

[postquote quote=16565]

I agree – the Revo-Slots should be raced against each other and perhaps even in sub-classes dependent on issues such as the Elva potentially out-performing the original Porsches and Vipers et al.

Participant

I am happy to run RevoSlot class without other cars.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.