ASCC Monthly Meeting – May 11 2020

Home Forums Welcome to the Austin Slot Car Club Forum Club Talk ASCC Monthly Meeting – May 11 2020

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

[attachment file=”Lotus JR-18- #78 (2).jpg”]ASCC Monthly Meeting May 11, 2020

PRESIDENTS REPORT
      Russell opened discussions regarding returning to group racing at the ASCC-HQ. (see below)

SECRETARY/MEMBERSHIP REPORT
      No changes in membership noted.

TREASURER REPORT
      Marty will send out a notice to members by the end of May regarding dues and race-fee make-ups.

COVID-19 RETURN TO RACING PLAN
      Members talked about their concerns about going back too soon especially those with medical issues. We talked about starting back in July for 2020-H2 and Q3 events pending the status of the virus in Austin.
      David said he wanted to go to the track but unfortunately not with anyone else there : (
      Everyone agreed that if go to the headquarters and wish to be by yourself, you should email or text other members ahead of time to confirm you will be there alone.
      This way other members can plan their own practice so as not to overlap.
      We know everyone is anxious to get back to “normal”, but we certainly do not want to Risk the health of any club members (or the community at large.)

SERIES DISCUSSIONS
      Rally-Targa Florio
      Discussion was made regarding running the Targa Rally series one heat at a time on a Saturday where each member has a time slot where they can run by themselves.  This would work for this specific event since its run one racer at a time. We did not approve the plan but have it on the agenda for the June meeting.
      Ary agreed to get the power hooked up to the rally track by the first of June so members would have some time to run on it.
      Although the situation is still uncertain going forward, ASCC is tentatively planning on starting the Targa Florio series July 4th and BRM 1/24 series July 11th.

Rules for racing will include mask, glove, 6-feet-plus distancing using controller extensions, and distancing in the pits.
      A later discussion was proposed to have split racing days, so that only 6 members were present at any given time (3 marshals, 3 racers); b/c our membership floats around 12 people this will typically mean two sessions, say #1 green-flag at 1pm, #2 green-flag at 3pm.
      None is this (except the distancing rules) is in stone so at the end of June we will define our rules and dates.
      1. Everyone is required to wear a mask and gloves.
      2. There must be a space between every pit stall. This could be difficult with the amount of space we have.
      3. Distance between people in the space should be No closer than Six-feet
      4 Everyone will have their temperature taken before entering the space
      5. No children allowed
      6. No more than 10 racers allowed – maybe this goes to 8 to give everyone the space to stay six feet away from others.
      7 Have hand sanitizer available in multiple spots in the room for everyone to use
      8. No shared food
      9. Re-spaced drivers stations to get racers as far apart as possible and still use three lanes.

Minimum Number of Competitors
      For a race to be valid, there must be a minimum of 3 racers.  With only 3 competitors each driver will race on his own while the two other drivers will marshal.

BIG REVEAL – LOTUS-Jr-18 #78
      John opened his replica Lotus slot car co-built by Randy, Russell and Marc T. The car is stunning and is an incredible example of club members working together to show their brotherhood with our members. John was surprised and very appreciative of the gift. It was a great moment!

Participant

DORIS the Split Window C5 Vette in process by master modeler Russell Mills.

Participant

I have three 6-feet long XLR controller extension cords I will drop off at the HQ on Memorial Monday 5/25.
      These are a little over-kill with the existing 3 foot cords on most of our controllers, but this gives lots of flexibility in location, including being able to keep your controller in hand while self-marshalling during practice or a race with only two marshalls.
      -or- being at the Race-control (track call button) position in a very very small race (3 people).

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BarkingSpyder

At 4-years old in Pensacola I repaired my steering linkage on my Ford Pedal-car. Dad later converted this car to a Blue Angel with ailerons and elevators with a working "stick/yoke"; the rudder was controlled by the steering wheel. I like all motorsports - I grew up going to a NASCAR Feeder track with Sportsman and Modified classes, and was lucky to attend drag races in 1970 at Orange County Raceway. My first solder-iron was a Christmas gift at 9yo; I modified T-Jets to be AFX spec before AFX Cars were in local stores. I rebuilt a few tractor & car (SIMCA) engines plus transmissions by 15yo (I still have my ring-compressor and valve spring tool) I am a former mountain and road bike geek & perennial sound engineer. Struggling guitar hobbyist and Amp "tweeker"