Bracket Racing classes

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations Bracket Racing classes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all,

As I was racing my BMW CSL tonight, I was regretting that is not competetive in any of our race classes; it’s a 4.3 or 4.4 second car.  I thought about some kind of bracket racing like they do in drag racing, where you race based on set times and if you go faster than that time, you “break out”.  I envision this to be informal, one-off racing on Thursdays, non-race Saturdays, or just any time we feel like it.  We would have a race with a bracket time of 4.3 or 4.0 or whatever time the people there that night felt like.  If you go faster than the set time during a heat you would have 1 lap subtracted from your total for that heat.  I would suggest that rather than qualifying like they do in drag racing, that you would just pick the bracket time you wanted for a particular car.  For a 4.3 bracket you might have a car that would never break 4.3, or you might have a car that could occasionally run a 4.27 but that you could run 4.3s comfortably all day long.  The racing would naturally be close and the fastest lap race sound would not necessarily be what you would want to hear.  This would be a great way to stage “run what you brung” races and get to race cars that we normally do not race. 

Russell

Russell,

This is a great idea! Anyone would be able to race whatever brand or models they wanted, all you need to do is turn some laps and classify each car by lap times. — HAHA!!! I could race one of my trucks against regular cars.

What are the brackets? 4.0 to 4.5?

Keymaster

Do we bracket our own cars or do we have someone else do it.  (Or at least have a second driver verify the bracket time?)

Keymaster

Brian,

You set the time for your cars, there is no need to have someone else verify it. If, during a 4.3 bracket race, you turn a 4.280 lap, that lap would not count.

Keymaster

Past Thursday we had a test bracket race and it was fun! We tried different ways to manage the laps for a 4.2 bracket, but the best solution was to change the minimal lap time under Trackmate.

It became clear that you really do not want to go below the bracket time, losing a lap would put you on the back of the pack, the only thing to do after that is to pray that someone else goes below as well.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.