Cotton Bowl Speedway, Paige TX

Home Forums Motorsports News & Events Events Attended by ASCC Members Cotton Bowl Speedway, Paige TX

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

23 miles East of Elgin is a 1/4 mile dirt oval that has weekly races from the Spring to Fall. I usually pass it in Fall (off-season) when traveling to Pensacola FLA to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving (Mom’s birthday) or Christmas.
      A few weeks back I visited mom to help her with damage from a recent storm and to triage my fathers effects (RIP Aug 2019). On my way into Round Rock I stopped to check out the action.
      The action was fast and constant. That evening they had about six ‘motos’ or qualifying Heats, followed by Feature (Final) rounds. Qualifying Heats allowed anyone to at least get in 5-minutes of racing; whereas depending on the Class the Features were much longer. During intermission, in front of the flag stand they have kid races with Powerwheels (battery) and Big-Wheel tricycles. The concession stand was the standard ball-park format and menu; dogs, burgers, popcorn, peanuts, and soda. Beer was allowed in a BYOB cooler for a $25 gate fee (I only notice a few coolers that Sat. night).
      I only stayed for a few Heats since it had been a very long, rainy and congested 640 miles on I-10. The action was fast as each Five-minute heat started within one minute after the last one; the cars for the new heat entering the track while the previous competitors returned to the pits. Most of the classes (except street stocks and some dwarf classes) were powered by 3xxCI V8s, with open headers, mild cams, and gear ratios set for quick and short acceleration. The sound was loud enough to raise hairs, but tolerable with marshmallow ear-plugs (full muffs not required). The best seats were in front of the control tower because at either end of the stands fans were showered with dirt and rocks as the cars swung into or out of the front Straight.
      Most fans did not seem to mind; their idea of “personal protection” seemed to be measured in millimeters/calibers, and trucker caps, versus: impact eyewear; plugs/muffs; Covid/Dust masks; or judging by the prevalence of kids, condoms 🙂
      The racing surface is a banked, hard-pack oval that has a concrete or asphalt base, covered with clay/pebble top layer. The cars are set-up with the driver-side suspension and body about 12-16 inches higher than the right, and suspension designed for the constant left turn on the 15deg bank. Surprisingly during the +30 minutes I was there, very few wrecks and Yellows occured. Competition was hot and several heats changed up leaders in the final laps.
      Overall it was exciting, but many “gentlemen” racers may not enjoy being rained on by dirt and pebbles! When filming I had to shut my eyes (even with glasses) and turn my face as the cars passed.

Sample races – daytime;   night

Keymaster

That sounds like an entertaining evening never been to a dirt Oval

Participant

Steve – it was a hoot and I would have stayed if I had not been on the road all day!  Seemed like a good alternative to the little track a few miles north of New Braunfels (used to be behind a car dealership going Northbound) which had All Day races for many years:

2 or 3 kids classes (micro-sprints, micro-nascars); various adult mini classes; “stock” (powder-puff) classes; “late models”; outlaws; etc.

Plus they had a high-speed Kart club, who raced in various flat track setups in parking lots, and the oval.  Plus the Kart club had its own pub in their garage.

Participant

GRAINY BUT GIVES A TASTE

COTTON BOWL SPEEDWAY TURN-1

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

BarkingSpyder

At 4-years old in Pensacola I repaired my steering linkage on my Ford Pedal-car. Dad later converted this car to a Blue Angel with ailerons and elevators with a working "stick/yoke"; the rudder was controlled by the steering wheel. I like all motorsports - I grew up going to a NASCAR Feeder track with Sportsman and Modified classes, and was lucky to attend drag races in 1970 at Orange County Raceway. My first solder-iron was a Christmas gift at 9yo; I modified T-Jets to be AFX spec before AFX Cars were in local stores. I rebuilt a few tractor & car (SIMCA) engines plus transmissions by 15yo (I still have my ring-compressor and valve spring tool) I am a former mountain and road bike geek & perennial sound engineer. Struggling guitar hobbyist and Amp "tweeker"