Datto’s new routed track

Home Forums Slot Car Talk Members Tracks Datto’s new routed track

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Well, I have been jonesing for some track time since the lockdown. I had been kicking around the idea of a 2 lane routed track that would breside at Hiedi’s Dad’s house in SA. There is a large, open air-conditioned sun-room. Still playing around with actual track layouts a bit, but the footprint is pretty much set. I will probably build all three tables, and do some prototyping with cardboard for finalizing the route. Below should be a photo of table#1, and a scribble of the layout. I will be bringing it into a vector program to refine the idea. Routing will not be CNC.

Sketch

Table#1

Participant

Marc

Cool!  Looks like a good  layout.  Good luck with it!

Russell

I love that design.  That looks like it will be a very fun track to run.  Let me know if you need any slot car specific tools to help with the routing.  I can’t wait to see it running.

Participant

Marty! You are a prince! It that a routing fence in the bottom pic?

Beginning to play with the shape of the lanes. I keep going back and forth on whether to have a bit of a squeeze at the chicane.

Yes, that is a routing fence.  I have two so you can put them together to make one long run.  Let me know if you want to borrow them.

I would avoid any squeeze but that’s just my opinion.

Marty

Participant

Marty, I am definitely leaning away from a squeeze. I think it will only add frustration. The temptation keeps creeping in, though.

Participant

Marc – great idea looks challenging. I assume 1/32:1/24 scale (not 1/43)? other mark

Participant

[quote=15287]Marc – great idea looks challenging. I assume 1/32:1/24 scale (not 1/43)? <s> other mark</s>

[/quote]

Yes, 1/32 primarily. Maybe some small 1/24.

Marc – stay strong my friend and avoid the squeeze on your track.  Squeeze oranges, limes, lemons and your partner but not your track.

Participant

[quote=15298]Marc – stay strong my friend and avoid the squeeze on your track. Squeeze oranges, limes, lemons and your partner but not your track.

[/quote]

[attachment file=”SquEEze.jpg”]

Attachments:

I just about lost my dinner looking at that picture.  You know what they say – “Too much of anything is never good”.  That image is the poster child for that statement.

Participant

I want to make sure that my track is wired essentially the same as the ASCC track. Here is a diagram I used for the hillclimb track (It does have a reversing switch, which I plan to use)
      Should this work okay with you guys’ and the clubs controllers?

(There should be an image attached)

And Marty, I would be greatly in your debt if I could use the slot routing gear. Hope to be doing that in December?

Participant

Trying again with image.

Track hookup

Participant

Mark, yes. Primarily 1/32, but if I can find a 1/24 Triumph TR4 kit I would live to recreate the SCCA battles between Bob Tulius, and Bob Sharp back East. (I have the Datsun already)

TR

SPL

Participant

Track surface is drawn out 1:1 and taped to benchwork. Next, mocking up elevations, and checking sight lines.

[attachment file=”15625″]

Things are looking good.  I am enjoying watching the track progress.  Thanks for sharing.

Marty

Participant

Some progress on the track Track surface routed and cut out (four pieces) There is some rabbeting I want to do on the edge of the trackway, so I can have a recessed notch to attach landscaping materials (latticework and paper mĂ¢chĂ©). I used some cut ends of braid to test routing depth of the gains to come close to the track at HQ. I think I am in the neighborhood. Also trie paining the lane/slot color with an airbrush. That seemed to go okay, so I did a full-up paint test with some flat latex I had bought last year.

Track

You can see my big mistake to the left of the frame. Did plunge cut too far back with circular saw. Patched up now.

paint

Paint test with one coat flat latex & primer. Needs at least one more, and a light sand. This was applied with a foam brush. Thinking of foam roller for the actual track. Thoughts?
      -Marc

Marc,

That looks amazing!  I love the original design of the track and the execution looks fantastic.  The track color looks great.  Rolling it on will help give it a little bit of texture.  I can’t wait to see the first laps being run on it.

Marty

Participant

A much overdue update to the track (no name yet)
      Major carpentry, I think is done barring any delayed stress fractures, or things like that. The three tables have been separated, at least the track itself has been cut, using a Japanese dovetail saw, to ensure the thinnest kerf. The track is a complete circuit the final bridging piece having been cut and routed. Tinned copper braid is in from Slot Car Corner. The Magnetic braid in the size reel I need has disappeared from their website. But I don’t run magnets, it was intended for my father in law, but variable track voltage will have to do. Track construction went mostly as planned, but I did end up with a little hump, jut before the overpass bridge. Do I dare to try and sand it down, and re-rout, or chalk it up to “Technical”? Ideally think trying to use a router on a compound curve is asking for trouble. Here (I hope) are some photos.

Attachments:
      Participant

[attachment file=”16197″]

[attachment file=”16198″]

Keymaster

I was imagining driving through it, and it seems very fluid. I can’t wait to see a video recording of a run. As aways, incredible workmanship.

What a great looking track.  Thanks for the update.  It is coming along nicely.

On the “hump”.  It depends if it will cause the cars to de-slot as they go over it.  The typical rule of thumb is:  The track can not cause a de-slot due to a construction issue.  If you can drive over it with just a bump and no de-sloting I think you are ok.  If not, you may want to think about sanding it down.  I had to do that on my home track.  I did the re-routing with a hand held router that was easier to control.  I would wait to hear from Russell to see what he thinks.

Marty

Participant

Images linked from IMGUR, as opposed to uploaded to ASCC. Which do you prefer, guys?

Track overview

Routed bridge piece being aligned
      Bridge alinment

Bit of a hump before the bridge.
      Bit of a hump

Participant

[postquote quote=16220]

It would be preferable to find out before paint, braid, etc. if I have a problem. Not sure this will work, but I threw together a self-powered test car. Super mild motor, short gearing, and 9v. I will try it on the bare wood, and see what I can learn.

Mule

Participant

NAME: suggestion – “Mermaid” since the upper loop kinda looks like a woman’s head; then the straight with esse looks like a mermaid’s tail.   [Circuit de La Sirena]
      Marc Tylers Circuit de Dame le Mar

-or-  “Mobius Prime” – the continuous eight is a mobius, but since its L-shaped maybe add the ‘prime’ from the Transformer movies.

Participant

Thinking of names. Considering the cat puked on the esses after routing, but before paint, causing some…. “surface irregularities” I was thinking maybe:

Hauskatze erbrechen Laufbahn

Circuito del vomito di gatto

Progress is progressing. 2 of 3 tables are braided, leaving the hard one for last. It has the bridge, and the timing gear. Waiting for my Trackmate package to arrive.

[attachment file=”16341″]

Participant

Track is operational, timing system installed. The Paper MAche’ shell is almost complete. Need to work in the foam rock work, and I want to get that part mostly painted before sticking down.

[attachment file=”16776″]

[attachment file=”16777″]

[attachment file=”16778″]

That looks great.  How does it drive?

Marty

Participant

Great looking rocks Marc đŸ™‚

Participant

[postquote quote=16781]

Well, I’m having fun with it anyway. No terrible kinks, that I have found, but there is a “bump” on the green lane at the table join. Can probably shave it down. Very different character when you switch directions.

Great looking rocks Marc ????

Thanks Mark. Lots of reference around here, living at the bottom of the Niobrara sea. đŸ˜‰

Participant

Marc

That’s not the full-sized set for the Spinal Tap tour, is it?

Russell

Participant

Hello, all, I figured I would wake this thread up in order to start a discussion about having a track day out here in the near future. Here are the basics on Spottswood Motor Park

[img]https://i.imgur.com/yJhJCmW.png[/img]

View post on imgur.com

<script async src=”//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

So the questions are when? (Late January? Later?)
      What would you like to run? The track is shorter and narrower than the club track, so bear that in mind đŸ™‚

Would like to hear your thoughts.
      Thanks for your time.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Avatar photoDatto.
      Attachments:
      Participant

Weather started out stormy for Austin Slot Car Club folks coming down from Austin to Sisterdale this past Sunday to visit Spottswood motor park, my 2 lane routed track. By early afternoon, the clouds had mostly moved out and temperatures were pleasant enough to open doors and windows in the track room.

Russell M was first to arrive, with his pit box filled with a bunch of interesting cars, including a totally custom shorty Dodge Sportsman surf van, and a couple tiny Birdcage Maseratis from CG Slot Cars. Russ really should do a build thread on the van, the workmanship is incredible, as always.

Next to pull up was Brian H, and new ASCC member Melvin. Melvin came equipped with his day-glo green slot.it GT40, and Brian with a variety of cars from the current Group C and Ford v Ferrari club race series. It was very gratifying to see the track populated with fresh cars and drivers.

Randy A arrived with another Birdcage Maserati, a Policar March F1, and a club controller for Melvin as well of plenty of stories. John B was close behind with his Group C and Ford v Ferrari cars. Mark L took a wrong turn and showed up a little later, ran some laps with a slot.it Skyline and got a tour of the workshop.

It was really interesting to see people getting the hang of the track. I got some valuable feedback. The main trouble currently is the guardrail behind the long sweeping curve at the back. I’m going to look into a couple solutions to minimize scuffing cars as they hang their tails out. Driver stations seem good where they are, but I may swap positions of the yellow and green stations for better visibility. We ran only practice laps, so it remains to be seen how to handle corner marshaling during a race. I do hope the club can come out for a actual event, even if it is a non points race.

I really enjoyed having folks out to the track, to visit and run our little cars. Let’s do it again sometime!

Photos by Russell and John

Participant
      Participant

Even more pics …

Entrance to the Tyler Sisterdale enclave …

Front Yard

Straight

Crossover and Return

More Faces

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.