Moving Out of Kings

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Please post any news about moving out of Kings on this forum.  I would like to keep all of this conversation in one place.

Participant

Let’s set a date when the power and computer will be disconnected for each track so that we can know when to be available to dismantle and move the tracks.  I am available for the rest of July except Tuesday afternoons and evenings through July 30.  Then again August 7th until the end of August.

Participant

I have removed personal books, racing artifacts, my grabber and swifter, uninstalled LED lights, and some hand-tools. I have left items in the tool boxes etc. that I donated to the club. I plan to remove the drag-trip lanes, tool box and saw horses by this weekend July 20. Ditto for the white refer and the dangerously dilapidated floor fan, and magazines. When we get a new menu all that can come back if we have the space!

As needed and available I will be glad to assist with disassembly of the track et al, taking down the stereo speakers, and other items.

Participant

Marty if you or anybody needs that I or anyone else comes when you are talking with a future possible place owner that can help us with the situation let us know

I was thinking that if possible ( and you all know better than me ) we can try  to move the track in one piece without the legs and all the effort that we are going to spend in cutting and rebuilding is better to employ in building a “cage with wheels   ” to move it on top of a trailer 30 ft long or something similar the track can be resting on its side…

Of course, we need to imagine a very precise logistic for that maybe hire someone with moving experience or transporting capabilities

just an idea…

We can try to

Participant

Moving the big track intact is a possibility, but it will be very heavy.  There is not a lot of structural bracing holding the three tables together, but each table is fairly rigid.  There are 1 X 4 braces underneath the lateral 2 X 4’s and the track sections are screwed to a 1 X 12 brace underneath each joint in the track surface.  We would need additional bolts fastening the tables together.  The strongest place for these bolts would be through the tops of the legs.

This would necessitate cutting off the remainder of the legs once the table is on its side.  (If we separate the three tables, the legs could be unbolted to remove.)  I think that with these bolts the table would be rigid enough to move, but would need a big trailer/truck.

I have removed my two electric heaters, DVD player, some cables, and loose pictures.  I may remove the  amp and speakers later in the week.

Participant

I have 2 moving dollies that can be used. I imagine it will take at least 6 to move the big track.. I also have a relatively low profile floor jack it that will help.

The weekend of July 20 I have caretaker duty with my Father in law. Otherwise I can make myself available

Keymaster

Hi Folks,
      I have updated the menu and home page to hide the Coming Events menu and the Calendar for now.  I have also updated our “About Us” content to remove the map and King’s address.

On our Facebook page I have taken similar actions to remove the address and hide the map for now.

Finally, I will be updating the tag line on our logo to read “Racing small cars in a hot box.” 😉

(Just kidding on that last part… weak attempt at injecting a little humor in a tough time.).

B

Participant

We are willing to work with you guys anyway we can. If you need a temporary home for the track while you look elsewhere or something more permanent, let us know.

Tom,

Thanks so very much for the offer.  Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.  I am on vacation and the internet is spotty at best.

At the moment the club is looking into all of the options we have.  We will definitely consider your offer as one of those options.  Neither of our tracks are very portable so we are looking into options that would allow us to move them whole.  We will be in touch.

Participant

Can someone give me the measurements for the two tracks so I can see how they might fit into our available space? That way we will know if this is even an option for you guys. I am guessing the large one to be approx. 5 x 24.

Participant

Road Track is Width 6Ft x length 26ft.
      Rally track is W 3.5 ft x L 14 ft.

Participant

This is the space we have available for the Clubs big track. It would allow marshaling from almost the whole way around the track. It has eight 4ft pit spaces close by. We have a removable wall section that the track could slide through and equipment that can lift it.

We have no desire to interfere with the club business, but would like to see a larger flat track built soon, either by the club or by us. We would also like to carry parts that are used frequently and a few cars for new members.

We invite any of the members to come out and check out the space available.

Tom,

Wow.  Thanks for the information and the option.  We are still looking into all the options to see what will work best for everyone in the club.  I will keep you in the loop as things move forward.

I really appreciate you offering your space to the club.

Marty

Participant

I did some checking on the rigidity of the track at King’s today.  I took a floor jack and lifted one end of the track.  With that end 3” off the floor, the center legs were just raised.  A string line confirmed that the deflection (droop) at the center of the track was 1 ½”.  I believe that the track is movable intact.  I have been thinking about what kind of casters, wheels, or dollies might be used.  A pair of wheels in the center of the track, with the track balancing on them, would be very maneuverable.  To start with, 8’ 2 X 12’s would be bolted to the inside of the central legs.  My first thought was then to attach a 5/8” axle between the 2 X 12’s with two wheelbarrow type wheels and tires.  Harbor Freight has a variety of wheels and tires, including solid rubber tires.  The difficulty with these wheels would be in having to raise the track to install or remove the wheels.  Another option would be boat trailer jacks bolted to the 2 X 12’s.  Harbor Freight has a 1500 lb. trailer jack with dual 6” solid rubber wheels.  The two trailer jacks would be swung into position and cranked down.  In order to load on a flat bed trailer an axle would be installed on the leading end of the track with two wheels mounted.  With enough manpower we could lift the rear end as the front end of the track was rolled onto the trailer.

The 2 X 12’s would be permanently installed.  The trailer jacks would be left in place for further use.  The 1 X 4’s (if necessary) could be removed.  I believe everything else on the track could be left in place including the shelving for the computer and the computer itself.

I also did some checking to see if we could roll the track out the storage area through the overhead door.  The overhead door is at an angle.  I used a laser pointer with a board the width of the track to see if the angled door and storage area width would have enough clearance and I believe there is.  It is hard to tell for sure until more of the storage area is cleaned out.   If the clearance is tight to get out the door, the driver’s station and tape dispenser could be removed.

Participant

Russell I have three 10 inch solid rubber wheels and a 5/8 inch axle awaiting another project. They could be made available for this, if needed.

Participant

ALL – to update our moving inventory, please either post here or email me the stuff you moved out this Sat. I will update the inventory (a tab in our membership sheet).

Participant

FYI – I was racing “nice-car” on Sunday and later Tom showed me his post. He left out the fact that he has Plenty of space for the rally track, our tool boxes, and a small race computer desk. He also re-iterated clearly that he does NOT care what we run (incl. BRMs, RevoSlots, ScaleAutos, NSRs) and will NOT restrict us to only running cars that we bought from him. He has a HORNBY account and can source Slot.IT parts and cars (and of course Scalextric). The 3/32 axles he sells for 1/24 fit our 1/32s. Did I mention the place is air-conditioned : )  He has an access door thru his warehouse and a forklift.  The location is easy to get to and only 20 minutes from Kings, about the same as the storage place we looked at on Saturday.

Participant

I have a contact who will rent out a 30 x 9-ft flatbed for $100/hr, which includes him as driver, the goose-neck flatbed, and his truck with 3rd-wheel.
      Based on moving the two tracks he estimated a total time of 4 to 6 hours and quoted an estimated total of $500. *the actual price will depend on the actual time spent waiting for the tracks to be loaded, transport, off-load and if 2 or more trips are necessary. The only firm quote is $100/hr and he has No Minimum and No mileage rate.
      All he needs is two days notice; he said he would prioritize our move over others (c/o the connection we have). I gave him the general schedule of sometime in Aug, most likely between the 2nd and 4th week. He did not state any restrictions on specific week-days.

Participant

I will be removing and cleaning the Refers this weekend. Can’t wait until they are full again and we can use them while racing!

Participant

Participant

Finally – we moved the road track without any De-slots! On-deck, building our man-cave!

Participant

Goodbye Kings!

Hellow Jamestown!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.