Discussion NSR Rally: Renault Clio R3 vs Abarth S2000

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations Discussion NSR Rally: Renault Clio R3 vs Abarth S2000

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by BarkingSpyder BarkingSpyder 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Radial TA
    Radial TA
    Participant

See provisional rules posting for cars and rules.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Radial TA Radial TA.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Radial TA Radial TA.
    Radial TA
    Radial TA
    Participant

I sure would like a chance to run the 2018 rally class on the rally track so that we can sort out car issues like we have been doing with the first three new classes this year. Please set aside a Saturday after the regular race and a Thursday or two for test and tune.

We have learned a lot from early testing with five or six cars for the Thunder Slots and are making some real single car tests for the MRSlotcar setup that were not expected to need changing.

porsche917
    porsche917

Randy,

I think we need to set up specific dates where the rally track will be open so everyone knows when they can come test.  I don’t want people not to enjoy the series because they were unable to get their cars dialed in.  This would be a good topic for discussion at the next club meeting.

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

1. Major BuzzKill here: Thanks for starting these discussion threads, but can we use some form of naming convention, like including the year in the thread name (and no need to include ‘discussion’ in the name of the discussion :O) We are all over the naming map this year 😛
    I will see if Brian can shorten this topic to: <2018-NSR Rally> -or- <2018-NSR Rally-Clio-vs-Punto>

2. Now for the “Stig” to speak: As I have announced a few times, we will start having open-Ark Sat afternoons and Thurs nights starting in April for specific tuning/practice for this year’s rally series. I will also look for “dark” Saturdays to use for Rally practice.

3. The rules have been posted for weeks. They are fairly open-I am welcoming comments on such things as:
    A. Motors – keep the current limit to the short-cans and IL or SW pods? Or allow long-cans which basically blows that spec open.
    B. Chassis – keep the current open spec allowing hard chassis? After the stink we had in 2017 over the 917 chassis I wanted to allow people to have the stiffness they desired.
    C. I hope people by now have at least one mule, or a Clio-and-Punto pair to compare to each other. Other than the Punto model that Marty reminded us of recently, has anyone found an alternative livery? And what do people think of the Clios they are finding?

4. I will create a “Dibs List”. We are not racing side-by-side so unique liveries are not as important as our road races; but I do encourage variety-even if that only means a different car number.

5. Wing rules: I don’t want a track-call if a wing falls off – and hence break a racers “flow”. You get a 5 second penalty added to your time (per race/heat) – simple and effective (and I predict very low probability).

... Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar! Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime... Rush - Red Barchetta

Radial TA
    Radial TA
    Participant

Why is the anglewinder pod that my car came with not allowed?  Is it just too fast or just too bad?

Since sidewinder and inline are allowed, two different motors are allowed, and maybe long can and short can, does this mean one might not be good for the rally track, but someone will figure it out and wallop us all?

Can I run my spare 20k motor?

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Randy – I *asked for* comments such as your reasoning why the OEM long-can – in AngleWinder configuration – should be allowed. Marty has had good results experimenting with the short-cans, but many of us had good luck with the Hi-torque, long-cans (which work good at low voltage) in the 2017-WRC rally – That’s why I opened the subject up for smart guys like you : )
    Invasion of the Pods! – the AW and IL pods currently spec’ed only take short-cans
    Spare some change buddy? – 20K; do you mean your spare NSR3001(22k) from the 2017-917?
    // and yes- based on history I am sure ‘someone’ will wallop us all!

... Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar! Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime... Rush - Red Barchetta

Radial TA
    Radial TA
    Participant

Is the Anglewinder pod also allowed?  My car came as an Anglewinder.

From the posted specs:  “Inline or Sidewinder Short-can NSR pods allowed. “

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Radial TA Radial TA.
    BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Q: “[11905] Is the Anglewinder pod allowed?”
    A: Please re-read [11901] first sentence; [11894], Para 3, 3.A.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by BarkingSpyder BarkingSpyder.
    BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Open-Ark Days Proposed:
    Thu March 22
    Thu March 29, Sat March 31 (Easter eve)
    Thu April 19, Sat April 21
    Thu May 24, Sat May 26
    Sat June 16, June 30, Jul 7

Radial TA
    Radial TA
    Participant

As of March 28, the rules for this class still have two places that refer to the March 11 meeting when there would be discussion about allowing anglewinder pods/chassis and motors other than short can.  Can I race my anglewinder with medium long can?

turboman93
    turboman93
    Participant

Randy,

That’s going to be Marty’s call as the series manager, but as the rules are written now, you can NOT use an anglewinder pod with long can motor.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by turboman93 turboman93.
    BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

@Randy and @Shawn; Marty proposed the series but Yours Truly is series manager for Rally-18; I believe it is even stated so on the rules page :O
    @Randy, as per posts [11901][11894][11946] and probably a few others:
    –you have stated your desire to use the OEM anglewinder; as I have stated before I am considering this change. My friend, please don’t beat this horse into hamburger 🙂  If you still need to beat it – push to me since last time I checked I was SM.
    –More importantly, I have requested input from All – and only gotten your input online (and 1×1 from Dave and Alex today)
    ** To address your concerns I will be more aggressive in getting input and have a decision date. Please note that Final Rules for this series was established by Ary as May. I can accelerate that up into April if it soothes all the apprehension on this series.
    March 11 was when I made the note in the rules – it was never a discussion or decision date. The intent was for someone *other than* @RadialTA to give me their feedback 🙂
    If I remember correctly, we are in this *hobby for Fun and friendship, not angst =:
    I hear you and will take action to reduce the angst.
    Cpt Obvious and Major Buzzkill signing off …

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

ISSUE: The OEM shipped motor is either an Inline or Aw long-can. Long cans provide the high torque at low-voltage that we need coming out of turns.
    1. Altho some people may have great success with short cans, is there any solid reason to force people to buy a short can motor and pod – if they are happy with their OEM long can?
    2. Should we restrict the motors to OEM as delivered?
    3. Restrict to any NSR long cans?
    4. Restrict to any NSR short or long cans?
    5. Open motor?

turboman93
    turboman93
    Participant

I’m fine with letting the long can anglewinders run.  Honestly, the benefit of the anglewinder is to get the long can in a sidewinder configuration.  It also allows for the magnet affect of the motor to help traction but is nullified on the rally track as it’s copper tape and not magnabraid.  They will have oodles of torque out of the hole but might be a serious handful to control without lowering the track power.  There is a point where lowering it doesn’t give the motor enough power to fully run and motor variances now come more into play.

I’ve already got a car that came with a sidewinder configuration so I’m just making my thoughts known for the newer racers.

Lotus jr.
    Lotus jr.
    Participant

After ordering a 1035 IL Renault, I found that it came with a long can.  Rules say inline is ok, but short can only.   After looking at Pendle, Prof Mo and my NSR catalog, it became apparent there was no short can inline pod available.  I propose that any stock configuration sold by NSR should be allowed.   The number of models available for sale is very limited right now other than AW.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.