Q3 Scaleauto Series Discussion

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations Q3 Scaleauto Series Discussion

This topic contains 25 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Radial TA Radial TA 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    turboman93
    turboman93
    Participant

Preliminary rules have been posted.  Please use this thread for discussion.

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Q1. Since it appears the carbon-fibre chassis parts Are allowed – what does this spec actually mean? “No ScaleAuto chassis tuning parts are allowed” Specifically What Parts are not allowed?
    Q2. Is there a NorthAmerican source for the MK rear tires? Most sources seem to be Australian mate. Are we sure there are no Paul Gage XPG series urethane tires that will fit?
    Q3. So using wire clips or glue instead of the default, industry standard method of Soldering lead wires may give someone an unfair advantage? ROTFL

... Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar! Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime... Rush - Red Barchetta

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by BarkingSpyder BarkingSpyder.
    BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

MJK Engineering – Australia
    http://www.armchairracer.com.au/workshop/tyres/mjk-4118-2-x-tyres-to-suit-1-24-scaleauto-porsche-911-gt3
    #MJK-4118 – 2x Rear tyres for 1:24 ScaleAuto Porsche 911 GT3 $6.75/pair/USD
    Supplied on Special Order Request only
    Mounted Outside Diameter: (A) – 27.5mm
    Mounted Width (B) – 13.0mm
    Rim Diameter (inside) (C) – 21.5mm
    RIB/NIB/NUB Width (F) – 5.0mm
    Wheel Maximum/Outside Rim Diameter (E) – 23.5mm
    Wheel Visible Rim Diameter (D) – 13.0mm

... Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar! Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime... Rush - Red Barchetta

Attachments:
    1. mjk4118-tiress.jpg

turboman93
    turboman93
    Participant

In response to Q1, if it didn’t come on the chassis out of the box, it’s not allowed.  The carbon fiber and full metal chassis have a set of parts that are standard.  Those are what’s allowed.

In response to Q2, Mark, I tested all tires that were available to us included the Paul Gage tires.  They didn’t perform as well as the MJK thus they were removed from contention.

All tires appear to be in Austrailia so allow for 2 weeks shipping.  Tires can also be sourced from this eBay seller:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ScaleAuto-1-24-Sports-GT-Race-tyres-MJK-4118/392035360419?hash=item5b4720dea3:g:5fIAAOSwL2NakLto

I have already purchased 5 pair from him and all but 2 pair have arrived as of the writing of this post.  I’ve also got tires coming from Armchair and got an email yesterday that MJK is making the tires this week and Armchair will be shipping to me next week.  I had ordered 5 pair and 4 pair are already spoken and paid for.

As the series manager, I’ve tried to make the series as even as possible and getting the resources necessary for racers prior to the race.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by turboman93 turboman93.
    BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Cool – did not see any notes on tests of PG tires -5 minutes ago Randy informed me you did a controlled test recently with him and John.
    RE the tuning parts – I just wanted to confirm that the carbon fibre parts were allowed since I am not aware of any “chassis tuning parts” that are available.
    Thanks for the EBAY listing! Sounds fun 🙂

turboman93
    turboman93
    Participant

The brass pinion can be sourced here in the states. The part number is SC-1195.

porsche917
    porsche917

Mark and All,

Just to clarify the rules – you are not allowed to use any chassis modification parts.  All chassis must run in there stock configuration.  If you are running a full steel SC-8000 chassis you are not allowed to add or modify it by using any carbon fiber parts.  If you are running the newer SC-8003 chassis you must run in it the stock configuration with no modifications to the chassis.

Marty

BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

What are the technical advantages for upgrading a SC-8000 with the CF parts ($75) – what are the obvious benefits over the stock SC-8003 chassis (e.g. a new $170-180 car)?

porsche917
    porsche917

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aMP1sO1ErE

Mark,

Why is it important to ask what the advantage of adding illegal carbon fiber parts are to a SC-8000 chassis?  What can be gained from the time someone would take to answer this question?  If its illegal then there is no reason to even ask the question.  Period.

The SC-8300 chassis is 11 grams lighter and that is not always a positive thing,  Only time running them will let us know.  As this point I don’t think either chassis has an advantage.  I think its more up to set up than the chassis model.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by porsche917 porsche917.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by porsche917 porsche917.
    Radial TA
    Radial TA
    Participant

I have ordered the SC-7068R BMW #19.  It was less expensive than the steel chassis.   I never imagined I would own a Bayerische Mist Wagen when I was a youngster in Germany.  I have a set of tires already.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Radial TA Radial TA.
    BarkingSpyder
    BarkingSpyder
    Participant

Marty, there should never be a problem with any club member wanting to understand the factual logic behind any spec or rule.  My question is a rational and reasonable attempt to understand what appears to my ignorant eyes as unobvious, (please read Q2 before you pop).
    Two months ago there were claims of better performance with the 8003 – ‘the new chassis far out performed the old one’ …’ the adjustable front axle helps keep the rear tires flat’ … [post 11993, March 12].
    Q1:  Is the 8003 orders-of-magnitude different (e.g. aluminum chassis {with carbon parts}, lightweight axle supports with CNC motor support) than the 8000, so that upgrading a 8000 with only the 8003CF Kit would make a Frankenstein that is still Not fully equal to the OEM 8003?
    You obviously have done the research and have significantly more knowledge than the rest of us on these chassis, so I am simply trying to help *all of us to be enlightened.
    Q2:  ** Is your intent to keep both chassis at OEM-spec so that our race results are an experiment to determine what configuration is best (e.g. for future races at Tom’s new track?)

porsche917
    porsche917

Mark,

I have no issue with someone asking a question about car set up or for clarification of the rules but when they are so clearly stated I have trouble taking the time to answer a question that is irrelevant.  You asked about adding carbon fiber parts and the rules clearly state:

GENERAL RULES – MODIFICATIONS

• All Scaleauto cars must run with the stock chassis they come with.
    • No Scaleauto chassis tuning parts are allowed.

I don’t know how there can be any ambiguity in what was stated.  These rules were created to keep cost in check and to make tech inspection of the cars easier.  There is no need to ask a question about something that has already been clearly addressed in the rules.

I don’t have any superior knowledge of how the SC-8000 will compare to the SC-8003.  I have run the SC-8000 cars for many hours but have less than 10 minutes on the SC-8300.  I don’t know how it will work.  No one yet knows what chassis will be the quickest.  As I have stated before, I believe it will come down more to set up than to the chassis selected.

If I have not already answered your Q2 – yes, the rules are written to keep both chassis stock.  This has nothing to do with Tom’s track and has everything to do with cost and ability to quickly tech the cars.  These cars are expensive enough without purchasing numerous axle mounts, motor mounts, bearings, axles, H plates and more to find out what works and what does not.

• All Scaleauto cars must run with the stock chassis they come with.
    • No Scaleauto chassis tuning parts are allowed.
    turboman93
    turboman93
    Participant

Mark,

In my testing, the difference between the 2 chassis were negligible.  In other words, there was no difference between the 2 chassis which is why both chassis are allowed.  If there was a difference in performance, I would have selected 1 chassis over the other based on availability.  This is the job of the series manager for a new series and I have done that.

What are you trying to accomplish here?  What are you trying to learn?

Radial TA
    Radial TA
    Participant

My new bmw has nuts/bolts that do not fit any of my tools.  What size are the various hexes or are they torx?

turboman93
    turboman93
    Participant

This was posted in the 1/24 scale cars section of the forum.  Please refer to https://www.austinslotcarclub.com/forums/topic/new-scaleauto-sc-8003-chassis/ 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.