Q3 Series change

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Everyone,

Please make note that the series for Q3 has changed from the F40/McLaren series to a 1/24 Scaleauto GT series.  I will be working with Marty to comes up with the rules.  This was proposed and voted upon at the March club meeting on March, 10th.

Participant

Great Idea!
      A spin-off may be getting ASCC members prepared with experience (and hopefully a car) to race on the Outlaw/Pflugerville 1/24 track; and certainly for any future races in Dallas.

Here is what lane spacing looks like between 1/32 and 1/24 scale cars.

I tested my new Scaleauto Porsche 911 – box stock, no trued tires – and was able to get it to perform very well with the stock rubber un-trued tires.  I tried my older chassis Porsche 911 and the performance was completely different.  The new chassis far out performed the old one.  Looking forward to see how it can run with trued tires and a tuned chassis.

Without any additional testing I would highly recommend us allowing the new carbon fiber chassis.  The adjustable front axle helps keep the rear tires flat.  If you are going to buy a new car you might as well make it the nicer one since there is very little cost difference.  Thoughts?

Participant

Marty, who did you buy your new Porsche from and how could you be sure it had the carbon fiber chassis?

Participant

Pendle (PSR) has these cars for 140gbp ==> $196 USD
      SC-7046C SC-7068R SC-7062R SC-7024RC SC-7027RC SC-7046R SC-7048R SC-7050R
      Always check to see if the desciption claims they have the Carbon fibre chassis kit – ‘SC8003C Scaleauto GT3 Chassis Kit’

For anyone who already has a ScaleAuto 1/24 car – the main parts are still steel – the carbon fibre parts are:
      SC-8003c – Complete Kit $100 usd (front plate, H-plate, tounge with metal chassis main plate) SC-8102C, SC-8153c, SC-8104C
      SC-8101c – H-Plate (float plate) $24 usd
      SC-8153c – Front sub-plate $16 usd
      SC-8156c – Motor sub-plate $16 usd

Alans carbon parts:
      SC-8003C GT1 1/24 Scale Chassis with carbon fiber parts $90 – includes the metal chassis plate SC-8102C, SC-8153c, SC-8104C (H, front sub plate, tounge)
      SC-8101c – H-Plate (float plate) $28
      SC-8102c – Alternative H-Plate (float plate) $25 // has less material
      SC-8104c – Guide Tongue $15

I dont think 132slotcars.us has any of the cars. The GT3s are below but it is not clear if they have the carbon kit – an email or call to Alan could clarify.
      Cars with the new chassis should have a C or RC in the suffix.
      SC-7030 (BMW) SC-7038 SC-7039 (Porsches) $180.**us

The Porsche was a birthday present from my wife.  She purchased it from Pendle and it came with a set of foam wheels/tires for free.

Participant

132slotcar.us has 2 BMW Z4s and 2 Dodge Vipers with the newer chassis.  If you are looking at other sites, make sure the part number on the car ends with “R”.  That seems to be the designation of the SC-8003 GT3 chassis.

Participant

Add to that 2 Porsches along with a Porsche white kit with the SC-8003 GT3 chassis.

I’m also considering using the foam tires and looking for input.  Using foams will mean that we have to clean the track of the residue of foam tire cleaner.  This will make the chassis for the Scaleauto more even and provide better grip.  The downside is the regular rubber tire performance will suffer until we build the grip on the track again with rubber.

I’ve been putting thought into this since Saturday and I agree with Marty that it will make the series much more enjoyable for everyone.  Given the size of the Scaleauto on our track, the grip will keep the cars from bumping into each other and creating mayhem along with destruction.  The reduced grip moving forward on the 1/32 cars will make it challenging but it allows for more lenient racing as the cars are smaller and have more spacing between them.

Please provide your thoughts here, so we can make a decision on tires by the May club meeting on May 12th.

Keymaster

I am going to agree with the Foams but I see practice before the series potentially hurting the Lola series but it is really an unknown perimeter.

Participant

PROPOSAL TO MOVE TO Q4 – Since this is a Quarterly series, can we not swap it with the Carrera series? This solves the residue problem. The half-year race at that time is the Rally which will not run on the road course and hence not affected like the Lotus series.
        After the 1/24 SA series is over we can clean the track and have 2-3 weeks to let the whole thing dry in time for 2019-Series-1.

TIRE MATERIAL -Has anyone tested these ScaleAuto rubber tires (against the foamies)
        SC-4731, 24×12 Slick, Soft, RT; SC-4736, 24×13 Slick, Soft – $12 @132Slotcar.US

AFFECT ON 1/32 CARS -History shows that temporarily (a few weeks) F30s/SuperGrips actually have more grip (hence less drift in the corners) and goo/marble/shed quickly. Then, as the track dries the grip becomes unpredictable, kinda like when you reach a magnet’s break-point.

Participant

What are the actual cars that will be eligible?  Is it just those cars listed from Pendle Slot?  GT3 only?  No GT2?

Participant

Russell,

All Scaleauto GT cars are eligible.  I was just pointing out the ones with the new GT3 chassis.  You can use the older chassis.

Participant

At the risk of derisive reply’s, why don’t we practice with the Scaleauto rubber tires and magnets instead of goop on foam.

Participant

Moving the series to Q4 will only postpone the issue and cause havoc in the Q1 series next year.  I don’t see how this is a solution to the residue problem.

I’ve ordered some other tires that I want to test with and I’ll make the final decision once I’ve had time on all tire options.

Participant

While everyone with a 1/24 car is testing, please give input on the cars that handle our track the best, especially in the tight turn in green.  I’m going to hold off on buying a car until we get good info on or track.

Participant

Will do, Randy.  That’s what I’m working on now.

All – I have run the full gamut of tires made available for Scaleauto cars that are either rubber or urethane.  I have been unsuccessful in getting any to work nearly as well as the foam tires.  Shawn has ordered some additional tires to try and we will see how those work.  The weight of the cars makes it really hard on rubber tires.  The BRM’s are lighter and you can use rubber tires although they do wear quickly.

You can practice with rubber tires and a magnet if you want but I would suggest just running the stock rubber tires without magnet until we are ready to make the move to foam tires.  If you can do well with the rubber tires you will kill it with the foam tires.

I would stick with running the Scaleauto’s in Q3 during the summer and then clean the track before we run the Carrera series or agree to run foam tires on those cars as a trial run.

Randy – I don’t know what the best format is for letting you know what the best Scaleauto cars are for the track.  Different driving styles can play into this decision to where what works for me does not work for you.  You should test drive as many of the club members cars as you can and make your decision that way.  For any of us to tell you what car to get could only work for us and then totally screw everyone else up as they all run to get a Viper or an Audi when what really works for you is the Porsche.  If you feel good about a car you can start there.  What cars do you like?  Try the one you like and see how it is to drive.  In closely matched series it can be the mental side of how you feel about what you are driving over what some people say is fast.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.