Slot It DTM Proxy Race

Home Forums Club Races Racing Calendar, Classes & Regulations Slot It DTM Proxy Race

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    porsche917porsche917

All,

Here is information on the best set up for your DTM car on the Houston track.

Gears – 26 or 27 crown on the stock 9t pinion.
    Tires – Stock C1’s
    Weight – helps, most are adding 5 -10g but in a variety of choice of placement.
    Guide – Screw in universal pickup – CH10.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 21 hours ago by porsche917porsche917.
    Radial TARadial TA
    Participant

I found the stock tires as 1228C1 on Electric Dreams, but not professor motor. One of the sites has the DTM for sale and has that great list of dimensions and parts. It says the stock tires are 1228C1 also. There are some other tires listed as C1, but I take it we use 1228s

porsche917porsche917

Randy – based on what they communicated to me the stock C1 tires – PT1228C1 – tires are the ones that work the best on their track.

Guides – You could use the stock guide if you would like to save $5 or be spendy and get the Slot It CH10 which is the same guide with a screw mount.

chapracer65chapracer65
    Participant

Marty

The Alfa rear wing mount is pretty spindly; what is allowable for reinforcement? Can the ends of the wings be taped to the body? What about reinforcement with plastic?

Russell

porsche917porsche917

The rear wing cannot be attached to the body – unless you are running a Mercedes and it comes that way. You can use the tried and true trick of putting ShoeGoo under the wing and on the struts. I would allow some reinforcement of the struts just as long as they are on minimal and on the struts.

Marty

chapracer65chapracer65
    Participant

Clear enough. If my wing breaks during a race, please withdraw the car immediately. Make no attempt to repair/replace the wing. A broken wing means that race is over for the car.

DattoDatto
    Participant

Marty, I will be sending the beer can to you tomorrow. Do you know if the deep wood guide bottoms out on the Houston track? Not in a good position to swap it out between venues if I entrust it to your care.

"Enjoy every sandwich"
    -Warren Zevon

Radial TARadial TA
    Participant

Although I’m running the slow mercedes panzer tough wing, I believe the other cars’ wings should be reinforced into the trunk if the team wants their car to be strudy. The old shoe goo worked on some cars, but I think we need to adapt.

chapracer65chapracer65
    Participant

We have different rear wing rules for different race series; some only require the wing to be on at the start of the heat, and some race series require that wings have to be re-installed during the green flag heat. Also some race series allow taping the ends of the wings, or reinforcing the wings, and some do not. My comments before were just a statement of fact. Having to replace a wing during a race (unless it is a snap-in wing) means that heat and that race are done for the car. Even if the supplies were ready and available at the driver’s station, it would take a minute or more, and would probably not last. I would rather that a quickie, futile attempt to repair a wing, which might complicate a later, at-home repair, not be attempted.

chapracer65chapracer65
    Participant

Marty
    Will the cars be in Parc Ferme for the duration of the series; that is, the owners will not be allowed to work on them between races?
    Russell

BarkingSpyderBarkingSpyder
    Participant

Are we on track for Round-1 this weekend? From some testing that Randy Dave and I did this weekend I request an additional week to tune.

What are the details about Round-1?
    When will the cars be received from Houston?
    How many cars are coming from Houston?
    What specs are they using regarding gears et al?
    Are they going to be tested (by Marty?) before the Round-1?
    Will drivers have any time for test laps with each car?
    Who are the drivers? I volunteer as either driver or Marshal.
    When is Ary truly coming back? Does he have to quaratine since he is returning from Brazil?
    When will tech inspection be for the ASCC cars? With some of the specs (wing reinforcement for one) will we have 5 minutes to fix it, or a more pragmatic time? Or could we be DQ on day one and have no time to correct the infraction?
    So should we tune our cars for the HSARC track and race as configured on the ASCC track? or do we tune gears etc for the ASCC track and later modify before rounds start in Houston?
    —-
    What is the official Guide – CH10 or the normal CH07? is a CHO7 illegal? Seems CH07 is recommended by the documented rules. They are designed for Carerra slot depths, is the HSARC track shallow – less than 7mm deep?
    Documented wings specs are: “parts damaged … Wings mandatory at the start of a heat... White kits allowed – but must be …” Or have the rules been updated somewhere with other details?

"Come On! Lets go space trucking!" Deep Purple

BarkingSpyderBarkingSpyder
    Participant

TEST-N-TUNE NOTES OCT 18 2020
    We are experiencing a problem with fine dust on track, if (a) we leave the doors open, (b) we do Not cover the track between tests and races. Please cover track when you leave : )

Dave hit a 3.9; using a 9/23 (pink) gear ratio, F22 tires. Running an Opel.
    Randy hit 4.4s with the Merc F30s 9/28? (he had stock gears, not sure if he changed them later)
    I hit 4.4s; Running an Opel. F30s. Tried both 9/23(pink) and 9/24(green) ratios (both seemed Too Hot, neither improved the times!)
    NOTE to have a calculated rear-wheel RPM of 7800, the ratio is 2.69, hence a 9/24(grn). For 7500 2.78, 9/25(orange)

— The cars are extremely noisy, I guess from the body rattling against the pan (with loose body screws for float).
    — The best spot for adding any weight, IF needed, is not clear. The Opel’s don’t seem to really need any additional weight. I tried the 2.5g slug in the front pod slot, rear pod slot, and without the slug with little obvious change.
    — Randy’s Merc handled better with a few grams behind the guide.
    — The black end-bell 21k motor *seems lethargic (in response), even at 12v.
    — In the Esses the rear can swing around in the 2nd curve (both Merc and Opel)
    — The use of the Spherical bushings in the front uprights is “iffy”. They seem to stick in the channels making adjusting the axle height very tedious. Also, because they are designed for the rear drive axle, (hence designed to be broke in from an active axle) they seem overly tight for a passive front axle. **I obtained smoother action (less friction) and easier axle height adjustment using our typical practice of just using long grub screws, no bushings.

**I also obtained smoother action using Aluminum front wheels; which also adds a useful gram or 2 on the guide.

"Come On! Lets go space trucking!" Deep Purple

ButchButch
    Participant

I would love to run Sat in DTM race. Hopefully we can mix things up and have John and Mark run different lanes. I would like to run Blue or Yellow.

Mark was right about dust on the track we were there 3 hrs and never got rid of it, I know the breeze is nice but it brings in a lot of dirt.

Radial TARadial TA
    Participant

I replaced the MB stock wiring because it was heavy and blocking the guide movement.  I replaced the wire with thin flexible wire, much shorter and still had trouble with the wire hanging up on something.  My flashlight showed the wire was grabbing the 2 brake ducts that poked a good 6 mm into the wire travel area.  The ducts are gone now.  I also replaced the stock stiff contact braids.

I have two tungsten weights, one in front of the motor in the clip place and one shoegooed on the front of the chassis.  Does not stop the perpendicular pinch on the last S turn yellow lane.  The wires are not holding the guide perpendicular any more, but the dust is letting the guide rotate all of the way as the back end slides wide.  I may remove each weight and both weights since David says the Opel is not using any, and just drive like I did in the snow.

I tried the pink gear and it is real squirrely.  Not smooth driving, but David’s is.  going to back off a tooth or two.  Good luck driving it.  I am sorry some one else has to drive it.

I am happy to run an MB on which I learned to drive stick shift in 1964.  My Dad was quite brave to let me learn on the 1961 220S he brought home from Germany after his tire company assignment.  Then the Vienna taxi company had them and my Dad bought a diesel in the 2000’s.

porsche917porsche917

All,

Here are answers to some of your questions.

What are the details about Round-1? – I need more specifics to answer the question.  The first race of the DTM proxy series will be this Saturday the 24th at 1pm at the clubs headquarters.

When will the cars be received from Houston? – I received them yesterday.  I will be running them through tech today the 22nd.

How many cars are coming from Houston? – 5
    What specs are they using regarding gears et al? – I don’t fully understand what you are asking.  They are using Slot It in-line crown gears as per the rules.  I don’t know what size they are using.  I have told them we run 23t – 25t crown gears when we run Slot It cars on our track.  

Are they going to be tested (by Marty?) before the Round-1? – Yes, on my home track or at the headquarters if I have the time.

Will drivers have any time for test laps with each car? – A very limited amount of time with each car.  That is the way a proxy works.  Drivers are not allowed to adjust a car to suit their driving style.  You drive the car you get. 

Who are the drivers? I volunteer as either driver or Marshal. – As per earlier emails it will be Mark L., John B. and David C. with Marty and Steve working as marshals. 

When is Ary truly coming back? – He is back

Does he have to quaratine since he is returning from Brazil? – Yes.  He will not run the first round of the series.

When will tech inspection be for the ASCC cars? – Saturday, prior to the race.  Starting at noon.

With some of the specs (wing reinforcement for one) will we have 5 minutes to fix it, or a more pragmatic time? Or could we be DQ on day one and have no time to correct the infraction? – I don’t understand what you are asking.  The wing must be on the car for the start of the heat.  You can reinforce the bottom of the wing but you cannot attach it to the side of the car.  

So should we tune our cars for the HSARC track and race as configured on the ASCC track? or do we tune gears etc for the ASCC track and later modify before rounds start in Houston? – You can do whatever you want.  Since we are allowing the cars to be reset for the Houston track I would set up my car for our track and then reconfigure it for the Houston track before we send the cars to them.  
    —-
    What is the official Guide – CH10 or the normal CH07? is a CHO7 illegal? Seems CH07 is recommended by the documented rules. They are designed for Carerra slot depths, is the HSARC track shallow – less than 7mm deep? – You can run any Slot It guide you want.  I would suggest a CH07 for our track and the CH10 or stock guide for the Houston track.

Documented wings specs are: “parts damaged … Wings mandatory at the start of a heat... White kits allowed – but must be …” Or have the rules been updated somewhere with other details? – What is your question?  Wings must be on the car when it starts the heat.  

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.